-9-

Not edited.

"I can't believe you actually went and did it. The old bâstard had the last word. Well at least you don't have to stay married to her forever."

Donovan wiped a weary hand over his face and twirled the clear glass with amber liquid on the table in front of him. His brother Ian sat across from him at the dining table at Ian's place and while they waited for their brothers and sisters they sipped the firey liquid.

"Yeh I know, but here's the thing. I think I'm falling for her and not just a simple care. Oh no. I think I'm falling damn hard."

Ian's eyes bulged, his head slightly shaking "Shít! Are you sure? Hell brother... Hey! Maybe it's some form of stockholm syndrome thing? You know, forced into the marriage and living in the same place and all."

Donovan started to chuckle. It was no secret that Ian had problems with the sanctimony of marriage and all it entailed. Even after being married twice he still didn't believe in happily ever after. No, to Ian, he got married both times in a moment of weakness in which he let his díck rule his mind.

"No. It's not like that. Karen is, well she's different."

"Of course she is! You were forced to marry her! What sort of father needs to arrange a marriage for a daughter like that? What... is she a cow? Have a bulldog face or..."

"I'd stop there if I were you brother" Donovan's grip on his glass tightened "Karen is amazing. God she's intelligent, smart, beautiful and yet" he paused wistfully "there's something about her. Like she's putting on a front so..."

"So you don't see exactly what a money grabbing bîtch she is?"

"No" Donovan growled out "so she protects herself from the world. I think she's been hurt. Really hurt and now she doesn't believe in herself. Then there's..." he stopped talking suddenly, unsure if he should be revealing Karen's personal business.

"There's?" Ian prompted with a single raised eyebrow.

Donovan sighed and stood up. He walked to the window and rested his forehead against the glass. He watched the people two storeys below as the rushed along the footpaths and wondered how many of them could say they were truly happy? How many could say thwy had everything they ever wanted? Ever loved?

"Donovan? Man, you're scaring me here. This isn't like you."

He turned, looked at Ian and shrugged "I haven't felt like this about someone before. I thought I had, hell, I thought a lot of things about love but now..."

"How do you know this is real and not like I said? What's so special about Karen that makes you think you love her?"

Donovan wasn't sure if he truly knew himself but even the thought that one day his wife may follow through on the legal aspect of their marriage to end it all created a heaviness within his heart.

"Because brother. Because Karen has a medical problem that means it'll be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for her to have children."

"But you want kids man. You always have!"

"Yeah but I want Karen more."