I kick the chair as hard as I can and head out to see my new friends. However, when I get downstairs Mum stops me before I can escape out the door. "We're having the Johnsons over for lunch! You can help me prepare." I try to fight it but she gives me The Look. Madi better return my jacket.

*******

Madi

I wake up late, so happy that I don't have to hear my alarm going off at 6:30 a.m. anymore for the next three months. I get up and make my bed, and go to my closet to put on clothes. As I'm putting on a skirt I hear a bang and an unfinished swear word. I laugh to myself at what was probably Martijn's idiocy.

Wait. Did he see me when I wasn't dressed yet? Crap. And gross. Knowing him he wouldn't be a gentleman and look away. I peek around my wall so just half my face is showing out the window. I don't see anyone, so I head downstairs.

"Good morning, sweetheart!" Mom greets me. "Feel good to sleep in?" I nod and smile. "Good! Oh by the way, I'm making a salad to bring to the Garritsen's for lunch because it didn't work out to go to their house yesterday!"

"Okay well that's great cause I'm going to Anna's!" I reply and start to leave the kitchen at a quick pace. I'm ready to enjoy my summer.

"Not so fast. You're coming with us. You need to be polite! Plus I can't believe Martijn is that bad, honey."

I shake my head at her, "Mom, you know that he spilled on me on purpose. And on my favorite dress, too!"

Mom tilts her head to the side and purses her lips at me. "I don't believe that was on purpose. I think he's a nice boy. Does Matt have a problem with you hanging out with him or something?"

That sentence hits me with so much force I take a step backwards. I had completely forgotten about last night until she said that. "N-no. He doesn't mind."

Mom looks at me quizzically. "Hmm. That's odd. He usually cares more about things like that." She turns back to her salad. "Oh well..."

I back up and turn around, running smack into Ellie. "OW Madi WHAT the HECK!" I apologize quickly, not in the mood for a row with her. All I can think about is Matt making out with Angel, and then Dylan harassing me. And I think I might have dreamt about it too, but all I can remember is seeing Martijn in my head. Whatever.

I plop down on the couch to think. My phone buzzes. I look down and to my shock, it's a text from Matt. <<hey baby girl can we talk? please.>> My face contorts with disgust. I reply <<absolutely not.>> and turn my phone off.

Half an hour later, I'm holding the salad and Martijn's jacket and my dad is ringing Martijn's doorbell. Martijn flings open the door and his eyes immediately land on his jacket as he says "Come on in!" As I pass him I push the jacket into his arms with a small "Thank you." I don't know what to do or how to act around him. He changes his mood so often that it's impossible to guess how he'll be towards me.

In any case, we're neighbors. Might as well be neighborly, right?

Lunch is uneventful, and soon I find myself at Anna's house, telling her about what happened with Matt and getting changed for a party that my friend Hailey is hosting tonight. Hailey is friends with some girls that Anna and Lauren and I aren't great friends with, and some of the more popular kids, but it'll still be fun. Hopefully I'll be able to scope out a nice guy for a summer fling since I'm free to look around again.

At around nine o'clock we head to Hailey's place, where the party is getting underway. I grab a drink and chill with Anna, making eyes at some cute guys. Anna nudges me and gestures with her elbow at Henry, a guy I don't know super well but who I know is pretty nice.

"He hasn't stopped looking at you since we got here." 

I raise my eyebrows and gave her a coy smile. "Well." I smirk.

She raises her eyebrows at something over my shoulder and replies, "I, am going to go to the bathroom. Have fun." She winks and quickly walks away. I look after her, confused at her odd statement. When I turn back, Henry is approaching me.

Oh Anna, I think with a smile. Henry seems to think that my smile is for him, and grins broadly back at me.

"Hey, Madi!"

"Henry! How are you?"

"Great! So happy it's summer ugh." I giggle at him and he hands me a drink, as mine is empty. I take it and politely sip.

"Soo... I hear you like producing music?" I blush and nod. "Yeah, it's just a hobby for fun. I probably won't go anywhere with it." I pause. "Who told you that?"

"Oh... Matt did...," he says, sounding apologetic that he's saying Matt's name to me.

I roll my eyes playfully. "Dammit Matt!"

Henry laughs with relief at my response and my expression and leans closer to me. "Can I ask what happened?"

I laugh. "Sure. He was kissing some girl at the party last night. I'm honestly so over it though." I feel a pang in my chest as I say this, but I know I'm almost over it. So not a total lie.

"Well that's good! Not him cheating on you I mean, just, good that you're over it..." He trails off and I laugh kindly at his touch of awkwardness. "Thanks!"

Our conversation drifts into other things, and I find myself having a much better time talking and joking with Henry than I ever did with Matt. With Matt it was just... whatever Matt wanted. Usually something involving no clothes. Henry actually seems genuinely interested in what we are conversing about.

We look around the crowded room to people watch a little bit. Most of the kids are dancing or talking or drinking. I see Dylan in a corner with some girl, which tosses me back to last night. I shiver from the uncomfortable thought.

Henry notices and ask if I'm cold. "No, I'm fine, thanks though!" He already has his jacket off. I take it with a shy smile. I am a little cold. And he is really nice. It isn't very comfortable, but it does warm me up. I thank him again and his face turns a light shade of pink.

Just then I realize Anna hasn't come back. I look around the room to see if I can find her and make sure she's all right when I hear her yelling at someone. I give Henry a nervous look, and am about to go look for Anna when he grabs my arm.