Chapter 4 ~ Dum Dum Duggan

Start from the beginning

"And that was," Steve says as he and Bucky finally turn from the pictures to me and their eyes widen.

I quickly change the subject and pulling away from the bears say, "It's not important, any who; after I met Tony and he started helping me out I decided to use the money he gave me to locate and get all my grandpa's things back." Wiping my eyes I point to the corner of my room and say, "In there I have his original Army Uniform and the last piece which I played hell in getting was his Bowler. The man that bought it was a real dick."

"Your granddad was a good man _____, both of them." Steve says as he picks up a pick of Dum Dum and Howard in New York.

"You know grandpa Dum was convinced that Grandpa Howard invented the Bikini. No matter how many times Howard told him it was the French he didn't buy it."

"Did Dugan know that Stark was your father?" Bucky asks as he lifts up the little Cap action figure.

"Nope, my mother wouldn't tell anyone. She never even told me."

"Then how did you two find each other?" Steve asks as he walks over and sits down at the end of my bed.

"SHIELD, believe it or not. I guess somehow somewhere there was evidence that I was Stark's kid. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I could take apart a motor and rebuild it at the age of seven; or perhaps the scholarship to MIT at the age of 14. I don't know, all I do know is one day this guy showed up and after taking one look at me said 'So you're Stark's daughter? I can see the resemblance.' I can only assume you know who I'm talking about?"

"Fury?" Steve asks and I nod.

"They wanted me to bypass MIT and go straight into the SHIELD academy but I declined. If I had joined SHIELD then I would have had to stay on the eastern seaboard and that sure as hell wasn't happening."

"What'd Stark say when he found out?" Steve asks and I let out a sigh as I say, "At first he didn't believe it, so we kept our distance from each other. I went to college and created the schematics for the Helicarriers, and well we know what Tony did. Half the eastern seaboard." At that remark Bucky chuckles and I smirk at him.

"When did the two of you actually meet, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Um 2008, I was 17 at the time hadn't yet turned 18; I heard about the incident with Obadiah Stane. I freaked out and had Barton take me to New York where Instead of finding him I found his then secretary and now girlfriend Pepper Pots. One look at me and she knew I was his daughter. She sat me down and we had a nice long conversation. She told me he was okay but he had that reactor in his chest. She took me to his house and when we showed up I found him working in his shop on his next suit." I pause at the memory.

"And what happened then?" Bucky asks as he sits next to me on my bed.

"He looked at me and then turned to Pepper and asked who I was. I was so excited to meet my dad and he didn't even know me. It's kind of hard not to realize the obvious resemblance between the two of us."

"And that hurt you." Steve says and I nod.

"I had waited my whole life to meet him but he just looked at me like I was a little lost puppy. After that no matter how much he reached out to me I decided I didn't want anything to do with him. He went to the government and fixed my Birth certificate and my Social Security card so he could open me a bank account. I didn't want his money. I hate money. It makes good people do stupid things."

"But you took it right?" Bucky asks and I chuckle.

"Of course I took it, I'm not stupid. I used it to buy this place and start my shop, and to find my grandpas stuff; other than that it just sets there accumulating. So I was surprised when he gave me these." I pull the bears form my chest and set them down in front of me. "I only mentioned it once that I was a fan of you guys."