“What are you waiting for?” he exclaimed. “Read it!” Will sent him an irritated glance, then concentrated on the text.

“‘You have done well so far. You have earned these swords. Take them and bring them back. They are yours now and you will practise with them.’” Will said. Bryan’s eyes widened.

“They’re ours?!” he whispered and Will could see he almost burst with excitement.

“That’s not all. ‘Now continue to walk around the lake. You will find the next part of your assignment there.’” he continued. Bryan’s smile faded away.

“We’re not finished yet? I hoped we could go home by now,” he said disappointed. Will chuckled.

“Well, we still have like one and a half day left, so it’s not very surprising, actually,” he pointed out. Bryan crossed his arms around his chest.

“Stop being so smart,” he muttered. Will shook his head and smiled.

“Let’s get those swords,” was all he said. This cheered Bryan up a little. Will took a closer look at the swords. They were simple, but practical. He grabbed one and pulled it out of its scabbard. It was perfectly balanced, even Will could feel that. Even though he was the son of one of the greatest knights of this time, he was terrible at sword-fighting and anything else that belonged to knighthood. He never actually practised any of the skills, but that was because he never cared for it and his father didn’t want to force him. Bryan had taken the other sword and was now fighting against an imaginary enemy. Will looked at him for a few minutes and Bryan noticed it. He stopped and asked: “What?” Will shrugged.

“You look like you’re very good with that sword.” Bryan looked shyly away. “No really! If I would do those moves, I would probably sting myself or stumble over my own feet!” Bryan smiled.

“My father put me in training when I was seven years old,” he explained. “I have practised ever since.” Will nodded and looked at his sword again. He put it back in its scabbard and hung the belt over his shoulder. It felt weird, but in some way good as well. He saw Bryan do the same.

“Well then,” he said. “Let’s go to the other side of that lake.”

            Three hours later, they were still walking.

“Are we there yet?” Bryan asked and Will felt the urge to hit him.

“For the twenty-sixth time, I don’t know!” he snapped.

“Why not? You’re the smart one! You should know things like this.” Will sent Bryan an irritated look. Now he was just asking for a fight. Will knew he shouldn’t respond, but he was bored, his feet ached and Bryan was really annoying, so he couldn’t help himself.

“Why won’t you ever shut up? I never asked to be in this stupid training! I never asked to be ‘the smart one’!” he exclaimed.

“Oh, and you think I did ask to be here? ‘Cause I didn’t! All I wanted to be was a cook! But no, the son of a knight can’t be a cook! He has to be another knight, fighting people to help other people. Why can’t I choose for myself?!” They stared furiously at each other. While having their argument, they stopped walking. The sun was burning down at them and the air felt hot. Will sighed, not feeling the necessity of fighting anymore.

“Why did Owen sent us here? Isn’t this way too far from home to go in three days?” he asked to no one in particular. Bryan sighed as well and sat down in the grass.

“I don’t know,” he said defeated. “Maybe we’re just too slow. I wonder where the others had to go.” A silence stretched over a couple of minutes.