Strangely Good, Strangely Bad --- Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

clok, clok, clok, clok....

My heels reverbrated through the parking as Neri and I made our way to the car to get to work. We always drive to work in one car because it's not practical to be going there separately since we leave the flat and and leave the hospital at the same time. Unless we have a change in routine such as him going on a planned date after, with Tracy, his girlfriend since high school,  or what not; but other wise, this has been standard procedure. The first one who finishes preparing for work gets to drive; and today, I'm doing it. 

My white Audi A7 car beeped and unlocked as we approached it. I have always thought of my car as insconspicuous or laid-back because in comparison to Neri's blue Maserati GranTurismo Sport, this is far simpler. And Neri was always keen on pointing it out. 

"Chick drive", he snorted. "Look at how it begs for attention beside my car." 

I rolled my eyes at him. "Please, I don't have to have a flashy ride, I'm not after scoring bitches."

"But guys are wow-ed if a girl speaks 'car and driver', plus, if they ride a really sweet car, too. So just please replace this unflattering ride of yours and get a new one, then get laid" He said.

"Hey, I love this ride. We connect" He raised his eyebrow on that one, "I'm not clamouring for attention like you, attention whore. Besides, guys like those are mostly jerks. My baby here--" I tapped my hood "--gives me a really good reason to keep driving without being much of a show off" I opened the backseat and put my bags and my hanger with my white coat in it. Neri did the same. 

"No, dearest Paige-a-Peachy. If you're trying to tell me again that I crave for attention-- again, I do not. Attention chases me like a love sick high school fan girl" He simply stated as if it;s the most obvious thing there is.

"Oh yeah? Get in the car, Nery-Berry, before I decide to run you over and squash your big head ." He was about to argue but just shook his head instead.

The ride was mostly quiet -- as always. I don't know about him but for me, this feels like our transformation zone. From the immature, crazy and lazy girl Paige at home to the more serious, Ms. know-it-all and dignified Dr. Bryce. It seems like the same thing for Neri too but he never said it out loud, so it's an assumption I won't bother confirming. 

"All Of Me" by Jon of The Piano Guys started playing in my car's audio when Neri broke the silence.

"I remember in high school when you were so mad at our Music teacher for calling you a 'cheater' that you played this in front of the class. Ms. Reinbeck cried in shame. Her face was, and still is, priceless." He said, looking ahead, clearly in some sort of flashback.

"She asked for it. She wanted an assignment of us making music in ways we can. I understand that she only expected sounds such as beat boxes, or some singing, or rapping blah blah, and she clearly didn't expect me playing the piano that way. But she crossed the line when she called me a cheat."

"You made her cry like she was stripped in public"

"You boys guffawed shamelessly, that was a huge factor too! So it's not entirely my fault." I answered smugly.

"Ah well, you were like the epitome of female potential with a lot of brains and talents--- all the boys were throwing themselves at you. Except me, of course."

"It's not like you didn't have your share of fame, remember when all the girls at school practically stalked you? And when Tracy Dawson became your girlfriend, she received threats that made Troy very anxious..."