Chapter 9 - Night and Day

Start from the beginning

"Uh, no, no," he said, backing away from them. "I was, uh – I was just going to get a book for someone," he said, heading in the direction of the library.

"If you need anything, just ask."

He closed the door behind him and leaned against it with his eyes closed, then went to one of the chairs in front of the fireplace. He slumped down and put his head in his hands.

He hated this. Why couldn't they all leave? Didn't they see his family needed privacy?

Hearing the door opening behind him, he stood. Helen peeked in. "Am I disturbing you?" she asked with concern. "I can go–"

"No!" he said taking a step towards her. "Don't go," he said more quietly. "Please, come in."

She closed the door behind her and went to him. "How are you doing?" she asked gently.

"Fine," he answered automatically and forced a smile, but she still looked at him with concern. "I'm fine," he insisted.

"I'm real sorry about your dad, Johnny. I know how much you looked up to him."

"Yeah," he said, dropping his head as sadness overwhelmed him. He tried to push it down. He didn't want her to see.

"I wanted to be sure to tell you how sorry I am since I probably won't see you at the bank anymore."

He looked up at her. "What do you mean?"

"Well... since you're the head of the company now, I thought you'd probably be too busy to bring the deposits."

She was right, he realized, and the pain in his chest became worse.

Over the last year, he'd continued his visits to the bank, and even though he only got to talk to her for a few minutes, it was often the highlight of his week. During that time, they'd gotten much closer. He could tell they'd developed a real friendship, but now he was going to lose that too.

"You probably want to be alone," she said. "I should go before my aunt and uncle start looking for me."

She didn't move, and he knew she was waiting for him to say goodbye, but he couldn't speak the words. He didn't want her to leave.

Then she held her hand out. "Bye, Johnny."

He took it, instantly feeling how soft it was. Her skin was pale compared to his, tanned by his time spent working outside. It felt good to feel her hand warm in his. Why couldn't his mother have accepted her? If she had, Helen would be his wife right now, helping him through this nightmare. Instead he had to support everyone else while he was left to deal with it all alone. He swallowed against the lump that formed in his throat.

She dropped his hand and before he knew what was happening, she'd put her arms around him. "I'm real sorry, Johnny," she murmured into his suit jacket.

He tentatively slid his arms up and around her, afraid she might move away if he hugged her back, but she didn't. She began rubbing his back in small circles, and he slumped against her as a wave of emotions washed through him. Her rubbing his back, comforting him like that made him feel like he wasn't alone after all, she was there with him.  And a memory tugged at him. This was how Ingrid would soothe him when he was very small.

He could smell her perfume, light and flowery, and her warm body pressed against him. He couldn't resist. He pulled her to him tighter and buried his face in her hair. In the silence, he breathed deeply, taking in her smell, her warmth, losing himself in the moment as the pain and grief ebbed away.