Akira... his voice echoed almost hauntingly in the girl's mind.

He was inches from her face when Akira's nose suddenly wrinkled in obvious disgust.

"Scales!"

The dragon froze.

"What did you eat?" Akira lifted a hand to pinch her nose. "That smells like a rotting carcass!"

The dragon withdrew his head, lips falling to cover his teeth. Disappointment filled his eyes at the obvious lack of surprise. His tail dropped and he sat on his hunches with a heavy thud.

Akira's eyes flew open to reveal a pair of clear blue eyes. As her other hand twitched, the butterfly took off. It fluttered into the sky, seeming to have not a care in the lands as it left behind girl and dragon.

I'm sure it doesn't smell that bad, the dragon's voice spoke in Akira's head.

Redemption, trust me. One whiff of that and every female dragon in the lands would make a beeline for the mountains. Akira sat up as she thought this.

The dragon, Redemption, responded with a snort of obvious disbelief.

With a mischievous grin, Akira got to her feet. Sure, don't listen. You can't say I didn't warn you. She brushed herself off. Looking up, her gaze wandered to the white dragon's back. Her eyes narrowed before they darted to Redemption's face and then back to his back. Ree, where's your saddle?

Her dragon tipped his head back to stare at the sky. You know, I think I may be getting hungry.

Akira crossed her hands on her chest.

How about a juicy deer? The dragon got off his hunches and stretched. I think I smell one nearby. He turned, his tail flattening grass to either side as it swished.

Akira wasn't about to let him go. "Redemption!" She spoke out loud.

Her dragon slowly turned his head.

The saddle.

Redemption blinked innocently. Err...I lost it?

How does one loose a saddle?

More blinking. Oh, it's quite possible.

It was strapped to your back!

The white dragon raised his head, as though to try and look somewhat more dignified. It came loose.

Both straps?

I told you it wasn't worth your mother's pearls.

And you didn't notice it slip?

I was a bit preoccupied.

With what?

Redemption paused for a moment, as though considering. With flying.

With an exasperated sigh, Akira let her hands drop to her side. She glared at her dragon. I should have known better than to entrust it to you. Destiny would surly have looked after it.

Redemption cocked his head. Oh cheer up. It was itchy and uncomfortable in every way. I say we're better off without it. Who needs a saddle anyway?

And how do you suppose I stay on your back?

The white dragon's tail swung in thought. Ah...I see. His tail stopped swinging. Well, it looks like we have a slight problem.

Without a word, Akira picked up the sword that lay in the grass. She pointed it at Redemption. This is your fault.

The dragon's head lowered in shame.