The Call

Caroline Forbes sat lazing on her front porch swing, wondering when her life had gotten so boring.  Tyler, her hybrid boyfriend, was having a night out with the guys, his best friends, Matt and Jeremy.  She would have had a girls' night, but for the fact that her best friends were nowhere to be found.  Bonnie spending the summer away, and Elena too busy with Damon (gag) and her returned-from-the-dead brother to care much about anyone else at the moment. 

"He's your first love.  I intend to be your last." 

Caroline sighed, then shook herself.  She had replayed the last time she had seen Klaus in her mind a million and a half times over the past six months, and wishing she could stop it.  But, it seemed impossible.  You would think after months apart, she would forget about the sweet, sadistic bastard, but apparently she had a thing for bad boy hybrid types, and Klaus topped that list no problem.  Her fingers grazed her cheek where Klaus had kissed her goodbye, or at least "goodbye for now." 

She had to do something.  Lazing around here would only make her mind wander even more, and that was the last thing she needed.  What she needed was a project, something to distract her.  But what? 

Bring. Bring.  She looked down at her cell phone.  Klaus.  He hadn't contacted her since she had seen him on graduation day six months earlier.  Her  interest piqued, knowing she shouldn't, she clicked the green phone symbol.  "And here I was hoping you had forgotten all about me," she lied.

She could hear his smirk through the phone.  "Forget you?  Not a chance, love," he teased.  She smiled.

"So, why the sudden end to the silent treatment?"

He chuckled.  "I was giving you space.  Believe me, I don't like giving you the silent treatment, but I figured that's what you wanted...for now."

She wasn't at all sure what she wanted, but the thought of never speaking to him again sure didn't make her happy.  Not a good sign. 

"I was actually hoping you would do me a little favor," he continued.

That definately piqued her interest.  Klaus never asked anyone for anything.  He demanded things, but never were they favors.  "I'm not killing anyone for you," she teased.

"Ha ha, you're a riot.  No, I need you to come to New Orleans."

She was silent a moment.  Go to New Orleans?  See him face to face again?  She wasn't sure her heart could handle something like that.  Did she even trust herselt to get within the same state? 

"Now, before you say no, its because I need your help with something down here.  I won't admit this to anyone else, but this whole fatherhood thing is putting me a tad on edge."

Several seconds ticked by as she processed.  "Did you just say fatherhood?"

***

Klaus ground his teeth.  Shit.  He forgot he hadn't told her about Haley and the pregnancy.  Shit, shit, shit.  Welll, baby was out of the bag now.  "Yes, I did."

The line was silent again for several seconds.  "You're going to be a father?"  She sounded somewhere between shock, disbelief, and something else...

"Yes, and it's making me crazy."

"How is that possible?  You're a vampire.  Vampires can't have children...can they?"

He sighed.  He didn't really want to explain the science of it.  He didn't even understand most of it.  "No, vampires can't procreate, but it would seem that hybrids can because of the werewolf side."

A minute ticked by.  "Well, congratulations," she said with absolutely no sincerity.  So, the thought of him being a father didn't sit well with her either.  Maybe this wasn't such a good idea, after all.  "So, who's the lucky lady?"