Chapter Three

The main aspect of the reasoning behind the closure of the banks, didn't bother Baxter. The swirling, easterly gale hadn't arrived yet in Liverpool; the gale, which was far away, exerting an unnecessary pressure on the local population who invested their money in accounts across the United Kingdom, (and overseas); the population, in which, millions earned their valuable living, hadn't diluted any inference to managing their taxes, savings, and pension dollars every second weekend. He was dressed in a cheap black suit, black trousers, a black belt, brown socks, and black, polished shoes; on his left hand was a silvery Rolex watch.

The bright, sunny day elicited a calmness in his behaviour. He arrived at Jim's Coffee Shop and opened the front door, and went inside through the blue curtains.

~

Jim Forster smiled at Baxter.

"More coffee like last week".

"Yes, I was out of it last night. And, because of my Government job, I have to be secretive about my security detail".

"It's always problematic when there's a looming election next year. Today's economy has shifted to the Labour Party led by Greg Harris".

"The economy fluctuates every quarter".

"And the World waits for the change to start". Baxter paid two pounds for the coffee. He rested his tired feet on the large stool, then savored the taste of the drink, as the locals arrived through the door.

~

Jenny Davies opened the door to the coffee shop.

She wore a blue skirt, white blouse, black stockings, and blue high-heeled shoes on her small feet; she was wearing a grey Swiss watch on her right hand. Her short, black hair was tied in a bun; her hazel eyes diverted to the front sign outside. She opened the door, then made her way towards the spare stools near the bar.

~

Baxter sipped more of his coffee.

Jenny sat next to him.

"Good morning, Baxter. How's the day been?".

"It's too early to say, Jenny. If you like to have Earl Grey tea, I can buy one for you".

"I'd love that, Baxter. I'm on my break. Besides, there's an important matter that must be addressed. Mother knows nothing about my job at MI5".

"All parents are kept in the dark about British intelligence protocols".

"That's the stark reality if you work in our business. Mothers and fathers of Intelligence agents can't see inside MI5, and MI6's offices, because it's 'TOP SECRET'. The CLASSIFIED section contains secretive documentation that's kept in cabinets deep under the cavernous offices in London. The sky won't fall down if you're kept in the dim darkness. Besides, the Liverpool operation has a base there, and across Bath, Essex, and Sussex".

"But they're the secondary and third bases, not the primary one in London".

"No, there's no directive in case we go to war. Or some internal matter that's not resolved sooner rather than later", Baxter stopped talking, as the tea was served by a twenty year old waitress. Jenny smiled at her, then concentrated on resuming her conversation with her ex-boyfriend.

~

By three o'clock, the sun's ray disappeared. The cross section of the Liverpool community rallied in the streets, listening to Ray Nairn, the Head of the Liverpool Union Committee, voice his irrational objectives about the state of English union activism, that was around since the nineteen seventies, and early nineteen eighties.

"Today, in the advent of commercial incentives paid to us over the last two decades in fundraisers, and commercial interests at the Liverpool Trades Hall, Bob Young, the Mayor of Liverpool, has kindly agreed on a meeting in three hours' time, at six o'clock. And, while we're enjoying dinner, the lads shall drink Guinness beer, fish and chips in rich batter, and savour our moment before the stand off with the British Police, over the dawn raids".

~

Jim Forster wiped the dirty yellow cloth with his right hand in detergent. He washed his callused hands, then, when it sparkled, he dried them on a spare blue towel that was on the left-hand side of the bar area.

~

The first signs of the locals finishing their meals was when Baxter yawned. It was a long, exhausting night; Jenny also yawned.

"Tomorrow's a big day in the office, Baxter. There's the football match next week. Maybe we could see the game in Liverpool next week?".

"I'll see if we could go, Jenny".

"I'd like that. Good bye!".

"Good bye!".

~

Page 4.