"Are you mad at me Bri-Bri?" Arianna asked quietly. "I understand if you are. But I'm sorry. I just can't give you what you want this year for your birthday. Anything else baby, a car even, but not that," Arianna finished sadly.

"It's ok Mama really. Forgive me for wanting to know that I wasn't conceived in a dish somewhere, or somebody didn't just drop me off on your doorstep one day. And since I'm going to be sixteen in two weeks, can we drop the Bri-Bri please?" Brianna asked sarcastically. "Brie or Brianna but no more Bri-Bri please and thank you," she snapped. She always got that tone when she was unhappy about something. Wanting to assert her independence and hide the pain that she so obviously felt. Arianna tried to hide her smile.

"Sure thing Brie," Arianna laughed equally as sarcastic. Sobering she added, "No matter how old you get Brianna, you will always be my baby. It's me and you to the end kiddo. Right?"

Very rarely did Brianna stay upset with her mother for very long. She hopped off the bathroom counter and gave Arianna a quick hug and a wet peck on the cheek and ran out the bathroom and through Arianna's room down the hall to her own room.

Next thing Arianna heard was the sound of Luther Vandross' Dance with My Father blasting from her room. Arianna couldn't help but laugh out loud. Even though they had never met, she was definitely her father's daughter. Quick temper and all. And those vivid blue eyes. Jase's eyes. Jason Williams. Rich, handsome, golden-haired, blue eyed Jason Williams. Arianna leaned against the bathroom counter and closed her eyes. In an instant she was transported back in time, back to the day she first saw Jase.

******

It was early November. Arianna had been eighteen and a freshman at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and she was working part-time at Taste of Heaven, a local pastry and coffee shop that served as a hangout for the local college students. She was wiping down the counter one afternoon when Jason walked in.

When the door opened, Arianna looked up and smiled to greet the newcomer. But when she saw him and their eyes met, she was mesmerized. Her mouth went completely dry and huge, tight knots formed in the pit of her stomach. Never before, in all her eighteen years, had she seen a more handsome boy. And the fact that he was white didn't bother her at all. The thoughts that did seem to go through her mind as she just stood there slack-jawed and staring at him, was the fact that never in a million years could a drop dead gorgeous white boy like him, ever be interested in a slightly overweight, insecure, black girl such as herself. Still, she could not bring herself to look away. He was wearing a Duke University sweat shirt with matching sweat pants, and looked like he just stepped out of an ad for The Gap. He was lean and tall, at least six three, with a medium muscular build, and had a glossy mane of luscious, golden hair, just above shoulder length, and deep, vivid sea blue eyes. He must have said something just then because he smiled and dropped his head. Embarrassed, Arianna felt her cheeks get hot and flushed and she returned her rapt attention to cleaning the already spotless counter.

"Excuse me miss?" Wow, his voice is just as sexy as he is, she thought.

"I'm sorry sir. Welcome to Taste of Heaven. How can I help you," she asked him then.

"Can I get a half dozen blueberry muffins and a mocha latte?"

"Sure. What size latte?" As if it even matter. Just don't go away yet, she remembered thinking.

"Large," he replied and smiled.

Arianna rung up his order.

"That'll be 9.95." He handed her a twenty dollar bill. She got his muffins and his coffee.