A KILLER AMONG US - CHAPTER THREE (Part 4)

CHAPTER THREE

             At ten minutes before midnight, she opened the door to the squad room and was greeted with "Welcome aboard!"

           Colby smiled, surprised by the cheery welcome at this late hour. The young dispatcher sat before glowing computer screen, looking too young to be a cop. His light brown hair was parted down the center and combed back on both sides, with short sideburns that emphasized his baby blue eyes and sweet, round cheeks.

            "I know what you're thinking," he said, his cheeks growing rounder with his widening grin. "I'm not old enough to be a cop."

            "I didn't say that," she replied, reaching for the full coffee pot and pouring herself a cup.

            " You didn't have to. Everyone says so. By the way, I'm Pete. You spoke with Chris earlier. We do twelve hour shifts, with time off for good behavior."

             "Nice to meet you, Pete. I'm Colby."

             "I know. I've been waiting to meet you after you made such an awesome debut today."

            She groaned and added two spoons of sugar. "I bet."

           He laughed. "At least you had a better reason than Dwayne did. He lost it over a dead possum."

           "So I've been told but I heard it was pretty ripe. Like something a dog would bring home."

           "Yep, had that happen, too. You know you're the main topic of conversation around here. The rookie catching the first murder case."

           "Well, it's not my case. Purely luck, or bad luck, in this case." She took her first sip of coffee, scorching her tongue in the process.

            The office was a squat brick building consisting of a court room-like area holding eight desks, a long, wooden table with three computer terminals for the dispatchers, another table by the back door and a long row of black metal file cabinets, all enclosed by a half-wall of polished wood, separating it from the sparsely furnished lobby.

             Having arrived through the back door, the captain's office was on her left. Colby took down the clipboard with the sign-in sheet just outside his office. She wrote her name, noted the time and hung it back up, glancing at the whiteboard with the shift assignments. There were four officers on regular shift tonight, including herself: Jenkowski, Dwayne and Jerry. Sgt. O'Mallory was the shift supervisor.

            "Bottom Meadows Road," she said.

            "That's everything southwest of Main, grid number four."

            Nodding, she turned back around to face Pete. "Any leads from today?"

           "Nada. Not one tiny BB. Except, you know, what they found on the body."