The Choosing of the Guard

So this is a non-published bonus chapter from 'Nothing Left to Lose'. It was never part of the story, just something I wrote separate for it. If it were to slot into the story, it would slide in between chapters one and two. It is NOT edited. I hope you enjoy! <3 

The Choosing of the Guard

~ Senator Tom Spencer ~

I sat behind my large oak desk and closed my eyes as I exhaled through my teeth. My head was already thumping with a stress headache. She'd done it again. She'd lost her cool and had gotten herself thrown out of yet another school.

I knew why she did it, of course, I'd been emailed a copy of the surveillance recording from the school, I knew that the boy had touched her, but she should have had more restraint and walked away. There had been no need for her to break the poor boy's nose just to make her point.

It had taken me over an hour of talking to police and the boy's parents for me to smooth over the complaint and convince them not to press charges against her. At least, with my influence, I could still help her in that department, even if I couldn't help her any other ways.

A heavy sigh left my lips as I sat back in my chair, trying to think of anything else other than Annabelle for a little while. That was the second college in six weeks she'd been excluded from. I had virtually no hope of getting her enrolled in another college at such short notice. I struggled last time to get her a placement at Stanford; this time would be even harder. Of course, they'd see her file – violence and expulsions from every college she'd attended – that didn't bode well for a new student.

When my phone intercom buzzed on my desk, I debated not answering it. I needed just five minutes peace to get my head straight. I knew I couldn't leave it though, Maddy, my personal assistant, wouldn't call through unnecessarily. I reluctantly pressed the intercom button on my phone. "What is it, Maddy?" I forced politeness.

"Sorry, Senator Spencer, but I have Brody Jenks on the phone for you."

I raised one eyebrow at his name. Anna's near guard with her at college was finally checking in. Well, if he is calling to tell me about the latest little 'incident' then he is about two hours too late! "Okay, thank you. Please put him through." I sighed sadly, running a hand over my face as I picked up the handset and pressed the phone to my ear.

His voice greeted me quickly. "Sir, I'm sorry to bother you."

"No problem, Agent Jenks. If you're calling to tell me that Annabelle attacked a boy at college today then you don't need to worry, I already know. I've smoothed everything over with the police. I've not long finished speaking to the Dean of the college. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could say or do to make him keep her there, hence the expulsion." I massaged my temples in small circles, wishing I had some pills I could swallow before this headache turned into a migraine.

Agent Jenks cleared his throat, clearly uncomfortable. "Oh, okay. I'm sorry, sir, there was nothing I could do. She rounded on him before I could stop her. I think the distance between her and her near guard needs to be rethought. I was thirty yards away; he was already on the floor by the time I got to her."

"You'll have to speak to her far guard and discuss what you want to do; I don't need to know your exact routine, tactical planning and day to day routines are ultimately down to her guards. Do what you think is best, as long as my daughter is safe, that's all I need," I muttered, frowning.

"Actually, sir, that's another reason I was calling. I can't so this anymore; this position isn't working out for me at all. I'm sorry, sir."

My heart sank. He'd been with Annabelle a month and already he was leaving her. I couldn't blame him though really, she really did make it hard on all of her guards. She was a menace at times. "I can't say I'm not disappointed," I admitted, "but I understand your decision. You'll give me time to replace you?" I asked hopefully.