He Saved Me Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

"It's no problem for me Alice. Just call me when you're on your way." I tossed the phone on the bed and got dressed.

***

I had to get out of here. I had been here at the mall with Alice and Jack for over three hours now.

Not only had I been dragged through each store and forced to try on things I would never consider wearing, but now Alice had me sitting through a matinee. Normally, I would have been able to deal, but the movie that Alice had insisted on trying out was a sob story that belonged on the Lifetime Movie Network called Stolen Innocence. The trailer described a story about a girl being drugged and raped by her boyfriend at a college party. I had protested watching the movie for ten minutes to no avail. What Alice wants, Alice gets. So I went into the dark theater with her and Jack, determined not to show any signs of distress.

I was doing well until the moment of truth came. As the girl on the movie screamed, I was immediately transported through time and space to that night and the sounds of the girls screams sounded suspiciously like my own voice now. I looked around the movie theater and realized that everyone was gone. Alice. Jack. The theater itself...disappeared. I was back in that alleyway. The smell of bad breath and alcohol mingling with smell of the damp air. I felt the cool edge of the knife's blade pressed against my throat again and I let out a small strangled scream and I jumped up from my seat.

"Isobel? Honey are you okay?" I heard Alice's voice beside me and shook the memories from my head.

Thinking quickly, I forced a smile onto my face. "No, I'm fine. Have to you the restroom. Be right back." I mumbled hurriedly as I shuffled down the row and onto the aisle.

As I exited the theater, I pulled my phone from my back pocket and called the only person I could think of to save me from this situation.

Bobby.....

***

Bobby's POV

Being grounded sucks.

I had thought that my mom would have cooled off by now and given be back my stuff, but she was holding strong to the notion that I would change my mind about going to college or stay grounded for another week and two days. I know that I could always lie to her a say I'd changed my ways, but I just couldn't do that. She was my mom.

I hadn't stepped out of line all week though. I only used my new cell phone to contact Izzy to make sure she was okay, and the borrowed car hadn't moved from its spot in the neighbor's driveway since I had gotten it on Monday.

Mom had been serious about taking me to and from school. Every morning she would knock on my door after her alarm went off and let me know how much time I had to get ready. If I was late, she said, that would be another week of being grounded. She was pissed.

Right now she was downstairs in the living room watching some law show about a psychic or something. I had been down there with her, but the hostility still radiating from her was too much so I am now in my room tossing a ball at the ceiling.

Being grounded really sucks.

My cell phone buzzed on my bedside table and I rolled over to pick it up. Glancing at the ID I saw that it was Isobel and my heart turned over as I answered, "Isobel?"

A small gurgling sound escaped before she spoke into the phone. "Bobby," she whispered in a voice thick with tears. "I need you to come and get me."

I jumped up from the bed before she said anything else and grabbed my keys from the dresser. "Okay where are you?"

"The mall."

"I'll be there in ten minutes. Go the main entrance and stay there. Don't move!" I was out the door and running to the neighbor's driveway before I finished speaking.

"Okay bye. Thanks Bobby" she said before disconnecting the call.

Driving to the mall was probably the longest ten minutes of my life. I wish I had asked her what was wrong before hanging up the phone. Maybe she had seen that guy again. Maybe someone else had tried to hurt her. I didn't know. And the pain of not knowing made me feel suffocated in the confines of the Chevy Impala that I was driving.

When I got to the main entrance of the mall, she was the first thing I spotted. She was sitting on a bench with her arms wrapped around her knees that were drawn up to her chest, her eyes darting around as though she was looking for someone to attack her.

My tires screeched as I braked and threw the car in park. I opened the driver door and jumped from the car and ran to her before I took my next breath. "Isobel?" she jumped and looked up at me, unshed tears glistening in her eyes. "What happened."

She shook her head and stood up. Looking down at her, I was reminded of a small lost child who had just spotted her parents and knew that everything was going to be okay again. I did that for her. My heart grew to twice it's size in that moment and I pulled her into my arms and held her tightly. "It's okay babe. Come on, let's get you home." I led her to the car and helped her inside.

I pulled into her driveway twelve minutes later and switched off the ignition. She hadn't spoken yet, and it was making me feel uneasy. "Isobel?"

She blinked and looked at me.

"We're at your house. Do you want me to come in with you?"

She blinked again and looked at your house. "No." she croaked and cleared her throat. "No." she said again and my heart sank. "Can we go to your house? I don't want to be here."

"Uh." my mind blanked. She wanted to go to my house. "Uh, yes of course. Whatever you want." I switched the car back on and backed out of the driveway. My mom was home. I was grounded. This was going to be interesting.