Chapter 6

sorry for the late upload! i didn't feel very inspired to write this chapter. but i finally got around to it, and i think it's alright. i hope you like it!

and shout out to issa271 for making me this awesome cover :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I walk into first period Economics the following Monday, I’m immediately swarmed by girls. At first I don’t know what the fuss is about but then I catch phrases like “You’re sooooo lucky.” and “So, was he a good kisser?” and “How come you didn’t tell anyone Jace Matthews was your date?”. I realize that they were talking about Jace and I push them all aside.

“Hold up,” I say, looking at all of them one by one. “What on earth are you guys talking about?”

None of them hesitate to reply and they all shout “You and Jace!” at the same time.

“Yeah…what about him?” I ask. Then, all the phrases that I just heard dawns on me and I shake my head violently. “Wait a second. You think I was Jace’s date for Octoberfest?”

A blonde named Anna-Jane nods eagerly. “Well, of course!”

I blink a few times. “But why – why would you even think that?”

Brittany Eve, my best frenemy rolls her eyes. I always thought she was kind of a b-i-t-c-h.

“Please, Stella,” she says almost as if I’m 10 instead of 17-turning-18. “You showed up at Octoberfest together. And then you left Octoberfest together. We’re not stupid you know.”

There’s a hint of jealousy in her tone that I don’t miss and I recognize the same jealously in some girls’ stares—or glares.

I don’t know what the problem is. All that happened Friday night was the Jace walked me home and then I just chilled out at home for the rest of the weekend healing my ankle, which as a-okay now. We didn’t even speak the entire way home and the only word I said to him that night was “Thanks” before I went inside my house.

I snort and sit down on my chair. “I hate to rain on your parade but Jace was not my date for Octoberfest, okay?”

Some girls smile, while others try to conceal their excitement, but I can see right through them.

“So he’s single,” I tell them, and then begin finishing my unfinished homework.

Thankfully, my teacher walks into the classroom and saves me from being questioned any longer. All of the girls file back into their own seats and throughout the entire class, I can almost feel the girlish squeals bounce off the walls.

When class ends, I hurry out of the room and avoid the mob of girls chasing after me. After economics, I have a spare so I hide in the library for some peace and quiet.

I’m in the middle of studying for the biology test I have after lunch when Brittany plops down onto the carpet beside me.

I give her a what-the-hell-are-you-doing-beside-me look and then go back to my studying.

“Psst, Stella,” she whispers.

“Can I help you?” I ask, not taking my eyes off my text book.

“So, about you and Jace….”

“What about me and Jace?”

Brittany looks at me uncertainly. “Well…I was wondering….”

I roll my eyes. “Spit it out.”

“Okay, okay. Are you guys seriously not dating?”

“No.”