Prologue (Age 14)

---------The attached picture is what I think Victoria should look like at the age of 14 (This is a pic of the girl who was cast as Renesmee in Twilight). Hope you enjoy the book, I will leave an authors note at the bottom of most chapters.----------

Every morning I wake up to my brother smiling at me the way our mother used to before she died, and right now not even those memories are keeping me happy because at this moment I know Tobias is taking the aptitude test which will help him decide his future. I can't focus on anything because I'm afraid to lose him, he is the only family I have in my eyes after our mother died because of our father who would beat all of us and continues to.

At the end of the day I am still worrying, not just about Tobias leaving me but because I know that when I walk through the door in the peaceful abnegation sector my father will be waiting. Usually I would wait for Tobias and we would walk home together, but today I don't know if he finished earlier or later than usual so I walked without him. All I can think about are his test results is he brave, selfless, intelligent, honest or kind? When I am almost to the lonely grey buildings of abnegation I hear a familiar voice behind me.

"Victoria", I turn to see who it is even though I'm sure its Tobias because he is the only person who really knows me.

"Tobias" I reply, "sorry I didn't wait for you, I wasn't sure if you had already left". I should have asked him about his test but I didn't want to disappoint myself.

"Victoria, it doesn't bother me if you don't wait because I know you always want to and you didn't know if I'd left, so I understand" he assures me.

Our house was on the far side of the abnegation sector and all the houses here are identical so it took a little longer to get home, and just before we did Tobias whispered "I want to be free of him, but I also don't want to leave you to be beaten". I knew he always wanted that but there was on word my mind held onto, that word was 'free'; I have to make sure he will be.

--------------------

When we get home, I walk inside and turn around to see Tobias stealing a moment; I think he got that from our mother because she always took these moments to forget about things. I do it too sometimes; i decide to leave him to his thoughts because he has a lot to think about. I close the door and see my father sitting in the living room surrounded by paperwork. I want to go to my room, maybe he'll let me go unnoticed, but I doubt it.

"Where is your brother?" is the only thing I hear come out of his mouth, before the door opens revealing Tobias.

"Son, nice of you to join us, both of you sit down" he adds in a scolding tone.

I cross the room to sit on the couch, carefully placing my feet so I don't knock over any piles of paper, Tobias joins me.

"Tell me about your aptitude test, what was your result?" he says while staring at Tobias. I watch Tobias, he looks like he doesn't want to tell our father but he knows he has to.

"Abnegation" Tobias answers.

"And nothing else?" our father say with a displeasing look.

When I hear him say that all I can think is how you can get more than one result is that even possible?

I think Tobias has the same idea as me because he quickly answers "no, of course not".

"So nothing strange happened with your test?" Marcus questions.

I have never liked the tone of voice he uses when he asks us questions, it scares me.

As always I look at Tobias when he is answering but this time he doesn't look the same, he looks like he is hiding something, I hope Marcus doesn't notice.