Chapter 2

I sit down and Marie doesn't say a word, but her cheeks are flushed and she's trying to prevent herself from smiling. "What?" I ask. I'm a lot more calm and collected than her. I guess when you've got as many mental problems as me you're really down to earth. She smiles and puts her head down. She casually lifts her left hand and moves her thick, medium length blonde hair out of her eyes. As she does so, I see a large, square jewel planted on her ring finger.

"No way!" I say standing up as quickly as possible as she does the same. "When did he propose??" I ask her excitedly, ignoring all of the glares from rude strangers in the quiet place. "Last night!" She responds. I hug her tightly and begin to cry. She's always deserved the very best, and that's what William gives her. He's loyal to her and he loves her so much it's hard to understand. She's gone through some pretty tough shit in her life, and William was always there with her, through the storm in whatever weather. He treats her like a queen. I've never seen Marie laugh and smile as much as she does with him. It makes me happy to see her dreams come true. We both wipe tears from our cheeks and sit back down.

"It's so beautiful." She says admiring the diamond. "Have you told anyone yet?" I ask her. She shakes her head in response. "I wanted you to be the first one I told."  I smile as a thank you. I seem to always have trouble saying what I want to... I could've just said, "Thank you Marie, it means a lot to me that you kept this to yourself so I can be the first one to know about the biggest, happiest event of your life." Nice going. "I wanted to ask you, will you be my maid of honor?" "Oh, of course!" I say. This event surely picked up my mood from this morning. We begin chatting about the wedding and all of the ideas she has. The waiter finally comes and takes our orders. I ordered a vanilla latte and a cream cheese Danish, and she gets the same. "I better go, I'm going to be late for my classes." I say. I give her one last hug. "I'm so happy for you." I say bending over to hug her. She's a little short, she always has been. "Thank you." She replies. "I'll talk to you later?" I say grabbing my bag and phone. "Yeah, I'll text you later today." She smiles. We say goodbye and I walk next door to campus to start off my day.

"Hey! Ivory!" I hear my name being called and I turn around to see my red-haired friend Reed. We became really close friends after Marie started dating William. "Hey!" I smile. Reed is William's best friend so I'm sure he's coming to ask me if I heard the news. "Have you heard about William and Marie?" He asks. "Sure have. It's been so long, it's kind of funny." I say. "Yeah..." He says and continues to trail off about all of the fun memories we've had growing up together. The rest of our friends have scattered across the country so I don't see them as often as I wish I did. Of course by now everyone is busy with school and relationships... I head off to class and try to focus of my professor, but the same boy keeps distracting me. He is tapping rhythms with his feet and singing softly. He hasn't been in this class long, I believe he just joined the university. I've seen him around campus a lot though. From what I can see, his hands and part of his neck are covered in ink, and he has long, black hair. He dresses in all black and is very tall. His appearance intimidates me. 

The boy looks up and glances around the classroom as I shift my gaze to the professor.

How long have I been staring?

When I look back in his direction he is already looking at me, he rolls his bright blue eyes and continues what he was doing. Alright then...? Asshole. The bell finally rings and I gather my stuff and Im the first one out of the classroom. I finish my classes and head back to the dorm. My mind keeps flashing back to my first class of the day. What was his problem? My mind races with thoughts of him. Maybe he's just a jerk? Did I do something? He sure is beautiful though. His eyes were the bluest blue I've ever seen. Something about him reminds me of and angel or something like that... I'm snapped out of my thoughts when my phone rings, my mother? "Hello?" I answer the phone, "Hey, darling, how are things?" She asks, "Um, good..." I say awkwardly and decide to explain about Marie's engagement. "Sweet little Marie..." My mom giggles, "Has she grown yet?" I laugh along with her. "Not really... But that's okay because William isn't exactly tall either." "How have you been feeling lately?"

Ugh... I hate these conversations. I've honestly been really down lately and I'm not sure what the cause of it is. I've gone to a therapist for years now, and nothing has helped. I've read countless books and articles, medication, doctors... I can't seem to escape it. My whole life I've been running ever since I can remember. My grandmother was my biggest supporter. She understood me more than anyone. Hell... She was actually the only one who listened. My mother and I were always constantly fighting. She never accepted me. I was never the perfect daughter she wanted. The times I wanted to escape that house are infinite. My dad was always screaming or yelling too. Violence... My father and mother fought a lot, but I locked myself in my room most of the time I was ever home so I wasn't ever really around for that...

"Fine." I shortly respond back. I'm always fine. I find and excuse to end the call and I pick up my writing binder and begin to let the trapped words in my head flow free on to lined pages...

~~~~~~~

Yes, it sucks now, but it will get better, I promise XD

-em