The First Night

Hello Everyone! Anyways I hope you guys like this chapter and go ahead and read!
_______________________________________

Newt and I talked for a bit, then a small boy came in.

"Alby sent me." He said before he could get kicked out. "He wants you to hurry and get to the bonfire. Oh. Hello I'm Chuck the youngest guy in the glade."

"Hi I'm Rosalind." I said smiling. Chuck seemed to be like a nice kid.

"Can I call you Rose?" He asked. "Rosalind, is too shucking long."

"Of course you can." I answered. He smiled.

I turned to Newt and asked.

"What bonfire? Do I have to go?" I asked. Wanting to be by myself.

"Of course you have! You're the guest of honor! C'mon lets go" Newt said.

I stood up and headed out the door. I realized that it was dark now. There was stars all over the sky. It was beautiful. I stared at it in amazement.

"Bloody beautiful isn't it?" Newt asked. I jumped a little as I didn't know he was behind me.

"Uh yeah." I said quietly.

"So Cool!" Yelled Chuck. His brown curls getting in front of his eyes. I smiled at the young boy.

"Let's go." Newt said. I nodded.

Towards the middle of the Glade Alby and the other boys had set up a large pile of planks and sticks that was now burning very bright.

A few of the boys were sitting around talking, some were playing music, and some were crowded around in a tight circle chanting someone's name. Probably fighting or whatever teenage boys do.

I plopped down in front of a log facing the roaring fire. Newt had gone to get something to drink while I stayed behind with Chuck, who wouldn't stop talking, and my thoughts again. What is with all this weird talk about "Shanks" or "Slinthead" or "Greenie". Never heard it before...

"Hey, Greenie. Wanna see what you're made of?" I was confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked quietly, the circle splitting enough for me to see Gally in the middle of the ring bouncing in his fighting stance.

"The rules are simple, Shank. I try to push you out of the ring and you try and last five seconds." I shook my head nervously, pulling bits if grass out from the ground under me.

"Oh come on, Gally. She's just a girl!"

"Yea. She'd be better off in the kitchen with Frypan!"

Frypan? Anger was flooding through me. They think just because I'm a girl I can't even fend for myself.

"Alright, Gally. You're on." I said. I thought standing up and entering the small circle of people. Everyone started chanting our names as Gally plowed straight for me.

I side stepped a few inches from him, making him stumble onto a few people, but he quickly recovered, turning to me with a look of pure hatred plastered onto his face.