Chapter 5: Snowflakes and Snarling

Start from the beginning

I walk into the kitchen, grab my coffee, and come back, sipping at it and relishing in the warmth it gives. "I'm going to take a wild guess out of the blue and say that this meeting with you councilors A) doesn't happen often and B) was probably centered on me."

Jared doesn't flinch. "Of course, but that's not what we're focusing on. He hasn't answered any of us for three days. We're all worried."

"So go look for him. Drew made it a point to say you knew the mountains better than anyone; it shouldn't be a problem."

"It's not that simple," Calypso sighs, wringing her hands nervously. "Shylah, the other council leaders put orders out for all pack members to stay put. We can't look for him. We can't ask for help. And they're baring rank, so we can't disobey."

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"They use what we call rank, but it's really just a power over anyone lower than them to obey. It takes away the option of doing anything else," Jared says. "But with this blizzard, we're all chomping at the bit. We have to find him." His green eyes are boring into mine, telling me a different story all together.

They're asking me without actually asking me to go look for him.

Well, crap.

*~*~*~*

I'm dressed, tying my laces, when Jared leans on the doorjam. "What are you doing?"

"Going for a run, J, what's it look like?" I snap, the nickname rolling off my tongue. He raises his eyebrows at me.

"You can't go after him. The other councilors, Shylah, they won't be happy. They told the pack--."

"Then why the hell did you come?" I snarl, looking up at him. "I was fine here, sleeping, and then you come and deliver that news to me, and then you tell me I can't help. There are some serious holes in your logic."

"I came because Calypso--."

"Bullshit. You came because you know I'm not under the same restrictions, Jared. You came to ask for help because you know I can't rightfully say no. So screw off. Your precious council leaders, by the way? Screw them, too. One of their own is out there, and they won't step up to help? Cowards, all of them. And if you're willing to stand by them, then, I'm sorry, Jared, but so are you." I shove past him.

He catches my wrist, and I glare at him, but he doesn't flinch at all. "It's three to one, Shylah; I can't do anything to help him."

Upon closer inspection, I can see that this is taking effect on him, too. His eyes are bagged a little more, his hair is rucked up straight in some places; his skin is a little less tan. He's worried. He cares. My teeth clench. "Yeah, well I can, so back off," I say, pulling out of his grasp and storming outside. The cold sticks to the walls of my throat when I breathe in and snowflakes collect on my lashes, melting quickly. My breath puffs into the air, but I use my anger and send it through my veins, letting it turn to lava before launching myself off of the patio. I turn and look at my house.

Calypso is halfway down the stairs, already in wolf form. "I'm sorry," she says, poking her nose into my shoulder. I nod.

"Yeah, me too."

Jared shifts and trots over. "Shylah, I--." His nose lifts up, sniffing and his ears twitch. "The councilors are here."

Sure enough, three other wolves quickly come out of the line of the forest, stopping to circle me. "What are you doing, child?" One asks. "You cannot go out there!"

My teeth show, my ears flatten. "Says who?"

"I do!" A bigger version of Drew snarls at me, his tongue lashing out at his muzzle. "I command this pack, young Alpha. You will not go looking!" I feel it like a physical weight, baring down on me. My legs quiver under the pressure and I whine as I struggle to stay standing. I'd thought Jared's was bad when he'd broken up the fight between Drew and I, but this is--my vision dances.

"Andrew, stop it! She doesn't know any better!" Calypso whines. "Leave her alone!"

I can feel her next to me, but the black council leader tightens his circle until he's just inches from me and the pressure tightens. I growl.

"I command this pack, and you will listen!" He barks. That's when I realize it.

I'd started to cave, my legs giving out, but now, I stand tall and bare my teeth at him before launching myself at him. My teeth sink themselves into fur, my paws scrabbling for purchase on muscle and snow, but he tosses me to the ground and I hit the tree. A stab of pain strikes through my back, but I take it with a grain of salt and stand back up.

"I'm not park of this pack," I growl, low and menacing. "And if that's the way you treat family, then I'm glad. You're all cowards!" My voice rises to a shout. The snow blows harder around us. "If you know these mountains so well, go out there and find him! But no, you'd rather him die and you live than save him or die trying."

They all send me different acts of aggression--one snarls, one snaps at empty air, and another rears and paws visciously at empty air.

"I command you, Shylah, to stay where you are!" Andrew snarls. I give a barking laugh.

"I'm not part of the pack. I don't listen to you." And I turn around, and race into the shadows of the trees.

*~*~*~*

Jared watches her with unease.

God help the girl, but tonight would have repercussions that may not be fixed.