the one with the sorting

"You get in life
what you have
the courage to
ask for."

IT IS SAID THAT the Sorting Hat makes a new song every year. It's probably the most boring thing in the world to be a hat, but on the brighter side, it knows us better than we do just by perching on our head for once.

I thought about getting sorted into Slytherin but at the same time, Fred and George seems cool. Hermione is witty and Ron is amazing. Not to mention Neville killed nagini. Not yet, but soon. But I had an inherent feeling, like I should be a Slytherin, because of many unknown reasons. It was just a tug in the back of my heart.

Pansy continuously babbled about how her wand wasn't functioning well. I noticed her wand was the most intricate, feminine one I've ever seen. It was of a dark shade of black, almost purple and seemed to radiate light. It wasn't performing well though. I suppose she needs a new wand.

Pansy, as said by Draco, was clingy like a leech. She was sort of gorilla glued to him while Zabini tried to control his laughter and I watched in amusement as Draco struggled.

In no time, we reached the Great Hall. It was big and elegant, like I read. It was big and it's features rose high into the sky. The dazzling river shone in front of it and the big wooden door awaited us. It was mahogany. Wow.

The door opened as all the students walked in, seeming to know where to go. I didn't know where to go, and I was wondering about it, when a tight-bunned strict woman, named Minerva McGonagall came in front of him. She looked at me and then at Draco, Pansy and Blaise. Her lips were in a thin line and then she spoke, "I suppose you are Miss Skylar Nova Firegold? Daughter of Alakay and Meredith Firegold?" she asked, but she already knew the answer.

I nodded anyway.

"If you please, come with me and you'll be sorted out momentarily," she said as she swiftly turned and walked towards the great Hall. I looked around the entrance hall and saw the large hourglasses, all empty.

The doors opened and all attention turned to me. The first years were crowded in front of the podium and supposedly no one expected a stranger to come.

"As you all have noticed, we have a new entry here," spoked a voice that belonged to Dumbledore. I almost squealed but a strangle whimper escaped my lips and Professor McGonagall looked down at me strangely. I was smiling so much that my cheeks were paining.

"She's not a transfer student but her first time in any Witchcraft school, starting her third year. So I would suggest, whichever house she's sorted in, treat her properly and make her feel home," he said as he sat down.

I assumed that the hat already finished it's song because I was called upon the podium and my sorting began.

The tatty old hat was placed on my head and it covered most of my face.

"Hah! A Firegold!" he yelled, or she. Is it a boy? What the fucking hell. It's a hat.

But the moment he mentioned Firegold, everything froze. Some first years spoke amongst each other, while older students looked a little concerned, or some even looked awed. The Slytherins sat up straight, as if they were aware and proud of me.

"Brave parents you had. Not everyone has the courage to do what they did. You are the lucky one," he said. Let's just assume it's a boy.

"They were both Slytherins. Amazing people. For a while I regretted putting them in Slytherin . Thought they'd do good in Gryffindor. But there are things you can't deny. I found things in them that made me sort them to Slytherin," he said loud enough for the Beauxbatons to hear.

"So where to put you?" You know you are supposed to answer that not me.

"You'd be a great. . . Hufflepuff for that humour," the hat laughed. I'd pine after Cedric Diggory then. "But what do I see here, impatient, and unforgiving."

I hope no one heard that.

"But there's wit here. Beyond measure. Sense of curiosity. You don't believe what you're told. You experiment. You like learning. And you know." Oh my God, the hat knows I know.

Ravenclaw should have had a raven as the symbol, not an eagle.

"You'd be a Slytherin too. It's in your blood. But I can give better justice to you. You are brave. Like your parents. And you can do things others can't," he said. What things?

Is five minutes over? The whole hall was staring at me expectantly.

"So what should it be? Hufflepuff?"

"Nope, too kind and sensitive," I said quietly. "I'm hardly a Hufflepuff."

"Ravenclaw?"

"I really don't want to solve riddles everyday after a long day of classes just to go to my room. Not Ravenclaw."

The hat laughed quietly, and my brain felt all clogged with talking to a hat.

"Put me in Slytherin," I said quietly.

I heard a faint laugh from the hat, as if it had caught me in something.

"Because you asked me that, because you told me which house you don't wish to be, and which house you wanted to be, I see courage. And I know where to put you."

The hall gasped and straightened up. Dumbledore leaned forward too. I closed my eyes cursing lightly as I knew I had fucked up slightly.

"Gryffindor!" it yelled as McGonagall put the hat off my face. The tables cheered up yelling and jumping. Especially Fred and George. They were saying, "We have Potter and Firegold!"

It's okay. Gryffindors aren't bad, I thought as I walked towards the table. They're just a little reckless and outgoing. That's all.

I was happy but troubled. I skipped to the Gryffindor table as Percy, who was the head boy. And I turned to greet a few others when I was pulled into an empty seat between Fred and George. I chuckled as each of them held my arms tight.

"No one steal her from us," they said in unison.

"Congratulations on making it to Gryffindor," said Harry (Jesus it's Harry Potter!) smiling. Ron was pink from smiling and Hermione giggled. Neville was smiling nervously.

But then I remembered.

I turned to look at Draco, on the Slytherin table. He was staring at me, with an empty expression. He looked away almost as soon as I caught his eye. Pansy was looking at him and Blaise had a strange forlorn expression.

I didn't get it.

Was my friendship with him confined only till he believed I'd be a Slytherin? Was Draco Malfoy really the bully Rowling made him seem in the book?