Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

"Let's hope I'm still around when they do."

Those words replayed over and over since the night I heard them. What did my mom mean by that? Was she not expecting to be around? I didn't want to think it but, did she think she would die? Would people die because of this new identity of mine?

"Nathan," I said. He stiffened.

True to his word, Nathan has been keeping a protective eye over me ever since my incident. It's not a lot that it's overprotective, in fact, it's quite comfortable having him around. Though, he becomes very stiff whenever I bring up what my mom told me.

"Am I dangerous?" I ask him. "Be honest."

He slowly buckled his seatbelt and sat to think.

"No." He replied.

"No?"

"Well," he grabbed his chin. "Nah, you're not dangerous. You too soft. I'm sure you wouldn't harm a fly."

Offended, "Are you saying I'm not capable of being dangerous?"

"I'm sure you're capable of it but I'd feel more at ease thinking you're not in general." He says.

"Then, what's your honest answer?" I said quietly.

I liked that he tried to lighten the mood but I could see through it. He was nervous around me. Who wouldn't after what happened the other day? Then, on some occasions I'd spaz and almost hurt people. Luckily Nathan was calm enough and handled it with ease but what if he can't next time? What if I hurt someone?

His smile faltered, "Yes, I do."

"Oh."

"It's very rare that hybrids are produced. To some, it's like a sin to mix species. So when it happens, it's pretty scary when the offspring becomes of age."

"W-What usually happens?" I ask.

"In the past, a lot of people die." He says flatly.

"Oh."

"There's this organization, The Council." He says. "They handle supernatural affairs and when a hybrid is produced, they usually like to give them a chance. Each one is different so they're fair enough to not jump the gun and assume they won't terrorize others. Although, in the end, they do get involved and it usually ends badly."

This made me nervous. I wanted to be different but I'm sure they all did too and it still ended the same way.

"You'll be different though." Nathan says. I looked up to see him smiling to himself. "I have faith you'll be different. Besides, this boring town needs some entertainment so it could be fun."

"People's lives are at risk with me here," I say. "I don't want anyone to get hurt because of my existence."

He continues to smile but sadly, "As humble as that is, that won't happen. People will die whether it's because of you or just because. The Council may be there as a supernatural justice but they're heartless. It's best to not piss them off."

"Aren't you scared?" I asked after a moment.

"Of what?"

"Of what could happen being associated with me." I clarify. "Aren't you scared of what could happen to you?"

He chuckles again, "I'm terrified but I'm mated to you so what can I do, huh? The universe put us together for a reason and I'm willing to accept my fate."