The Moment of Change

Start from the beginning

My heart was stammering in fear and worry. 203. 203. 203. I rushed down the corridors, not stopping for anyone until I reached the room.

Entering straight away it was surreal to see my Uncle on the hospital bed.

Sat up.

Joking around with the nurse.

I stopped in shock. As it finally sunk in I let out a long sigh of relief.

Both pairs of eyes snapped to me, as I stood frozen in the doorway. “Un-” I didn’t even get all the way through my sentence instead I ran into the room throwing myself in my uncle’s direction.

“Are you alright?” I asked, knowing that my eyes were bright with unshed tears. I gripped his face in both my hands, scanning over his injuries. There were minor cuts and bruises, but thankfully that was it.

“I’m fine sweet pea.” My Uncle answered, pushing my concern aside.

I scowled at him. “You gave me such a heart attack.” I accused. “What happened?”

He pulled a face. “Some idiot ran a red light.”

I felt a wave of anger at whoever it was who caused the accident, and caused me so much worry.

“Were there any worse injuries?” I asked. “Did any one…” I didn’t have to finish. My uncle shook his head.

“Everyone made it out okay. Even the pillock with the dodgy driving skills.” He said softly. I breathed out in relief once again, feeling my shoulder sag, finally free of stress.

“I’m glad you’re okay.” I told him gently leaning my head forwards, so that he wouldn’t see I was on the verge of bursting out into sobs. Something in my voice must have given me away though, because my Uncle ran his fingers gently in circles on my shoulder, which he only ever did when he was trying to cheer me up.

“I’m fine.” He reassured me.

I swallowed nodding my head. I quickly scrubbed the back of my sleeve over my eyes. Now that there was no worry it hit me hard that I had no idea what I’d do if my Uncle left me.

“I-I’m going to get me some coffee.” I said eventually, needing a few moments to compose myself without anyone watching me. “Do you need anything?”

My uncle shook his head, giving me a soft smile. “No thanks.” He grimaced. “There food is gross.”

I snorted loudly. “Gross?” I asked amused.

He wrinkled his nose. “Just … ew.” He concluded like a child would, making me laugh.

“Right.” I nodded my head, standing up. “I’ll see you in a minute.” I leant forwards and kissed him on the forehead, before straightening myself to leave. “Try not to hurt yourself whilst I’m gone.”

I said it jokingly, but it was a genuine worry. My Uncle couldn’t seem to go five minutes without gaining some sort of injury.

All I heard as I left the room was my Uncle laughing heartily.

I let out a deep breath as I let the door swing shut behind me. Finally all the worries and relief were hitting me all at once. It was nerve wrecking.

Running a shaky hand through my hair, I blew gently through pursed lips.

Counting slowly from ten in my head didn’t help much. I felt agitated Shaking me head, I walked through the corridors, ignoring the closest coffee machine in hopes of finding one further away.

I stopped at the next one, picking up one of the plastic cups, and put a cup sleeve around it, selecting the black coffee option. The dark liquid poured down from the dispenser, and I watched it dully, picking up packets of sugar to go with it.