Chapter 1- Liars Never Die

In the crisp autumn air, leaves crunched under the soft black boots of cavalier Nastasya Witte. The sky above held translucent grey clouds that spanned the entire width of the sky, resembling an upturned bowl. It was not the kind of day that made Nastasya exuberant, but she felt no need to banish all happy thoughts because of this horrid weather.

            Nastasya pulled her hood up over her pale, almost white, blond hair and trekked out across Mansfield Park into the gloomy doom; her shortcut to school.

            She glanced over her shoulder sharply at the sound of some breaking twig off in the distance. Was someone stalking the reining It Girl?

            Not before long, she was starting down a cleared off, worried path that led to the school parking lot. Nastasya studied the beautiful fall leaves with an optimistic eye. According to Nastasya, the color on the ground cancelled out the rain clouds hovering above.

            As soon as she stepped onto the hard concrete of the school parking lot, she felt a twinge of involuntary hope that she might not have to face her friends. Nastasya was shocked to have this feeling yet she couldn't deny it. The problem was that her so-called friends relished in the spotlight of being the popular kids of school while she shied away from it and all-together disliked it.

            By the way, the girls I am talking about (if you haven’t guessed it) is the Pretty Devils, or PD’s. Most of this is common sense but I’m going to write it here anyways. The PD’s were high school Royalty. The most privileged, beautiful, insatiable girls in all of Saint Lauresse Prep, the only co-ed Prepatory School in all of Georgia and the wealthiest. The PD’s have five members: Gale Woodlock, Kendra de Luca, Soomie Nottingham, Meaghan Soltz and of course, the ever-unattainable and utterly pleasant, Nastasya Witte.

            Gale’s father owns a security system corporation but she acted like he invented the first Twinkie or something, in other words she’s a stuck up bitch who needs to be punished. Kendra is obsessed with hair- well, not obsessed really- she‘s just amazing at doing hair, which makes sense since her locks are always perfect. Her mother works in cosmetology and owns her own salon- that’s where Kendra got all her tricks from. Soomie’s thing is she likes to dance, in particular she loves ballet. Her dream is to become a prima ballerina and work with legends like Anna Pavlova.

            The only person in her group Nastasya could count on to be tactless and unrelentingly honest was her dear friend Meaghan Soltz.

            Meaghan was the kind of girl that you almost doubted sometimes because of how contemptible and manipulating she seemed to be, but in the end Meaghan was the only person Nastasya could trust with her most vivid thoughts or dark secrets.

            I know what you’re thinking- ‘Right, like Nastasya Witte has dark secrets!’- you’d be surprised.

            Nastasya was the kind of girl who just wanted to hang out with her closest friends on a quiet Saturday night and have some good, old-fashioned girly bonding. Unfortunately, being the head of the PD’s restricted a lot of bonding purposes. Nastasya never plagued herself as a leader, but everyone else did.

            I suppose her becoming the Queen of school wasn’t just fate, but pure chance.

            It all started in fourth grade. Nastasya moved here from  Iceland and the rest of the girls were in awe- even as a fourth grader she was gorgeous. She had all the things they didn’t. The new Polly pocket, the Crayola pencil crayons with an extra twelve colors, the new shoes that lit up on the soles. But most of all, she had the stunning blond hair that cascaded below her waist and those searing dark eyes that made you feel like she could see everything inside you. The girls in fourth grade were terrified of her- yet still star struck. They wanted to be her friend, but instantly felt like she was their worst enemy. So begins the tale of the PD’s.

            Nastasya and Meaghan bonded over their love of Barbie dolls and pink nail polish and soon enough they were BFF. Shortly after being unofficially named the It Girls of elementary school, Gale Woodlock came along and won the girls over with pedicures at the de Luca’s salon and tickets to the opera.

            Kendra and Soomie fell into place a little while after that. Kendra was sweeping up hair at her mom’s salon when the three girls walked in and they all became fast friends. Soomie was a friend of Kendra’s so she tagged along.

            In middle school, the girls formed a solid group that would be later known at the Pretty Devils- to eternal damnation!

            Naturally, Nastasya fell into place as the leader- the girl who brought the PD’s together in the first place- and the girl everyone was afraid of. She doesn’t deserve it- none of them do.

            They all act like it’s their rite of passage- that they’ve earned it. They don’t know anything else but the charmed life they’ve been granted or their limitless credit cards they acquired. They’ve looked down on everyone for far too long and it’s time they’ve gotten a taste of their own medicine.

            It's time to settle the score. I'll pick off the Pretty Devils one by one and they will finally taste the wrath they’ve been dishing out after all these years. She thinks destiny has chosen her fate. She’s just a nice, normal girl.

            It wasn’t chosen before she even moved here and it wasn’t set in stone- it was pure chance, pure luck. Well, lady luck has dealt a new set of cards and these pretty devils aren’t going to be happy with the outcome.

            Not one bit.