Chapter 1

Narrator's POV
*BRRRIIINNNGGG*
Alana hits her clock so hard that it hits the ground with force. "Uggghhh." she whines to herself as she gets up, picks it up and places it back onto her end table. She walks up to her dresser and picks out her clothes for the day, undresses and changes into them.

She quickly puts her hair in a bun. She grabs her journal, shoved it into her book bag and goes down the stairs to eat breakfast. Her mother is making eggs and bacon.

"Hey ma, I'm going to the tree today after school. Is that ok?" The 'tree' is a place that Alana has gone for a few years now whenever she wants to think or write. "Sure, but come back in an hour or so. You don't want your father getting worried. You know how he is." Alana rolled her eyes and spat, "Yea I know." Her mother looked at her sternly and said, "Roll your eyes again and they'll stay up there." Alana nodded, "Ok mother." Then Alana ate her eggs and rushed off to school.

When she gets to school, she gets her
stuff from her locker for first period, and goes over to her friend Erin. "Hey Erin!" Alana says. "Hi Alana!" Erin squeaks. "Oh my goodness Erin... My mother has been at me throughout the whole week, just nagging me non-stop! I don't know what's wrong with her."

Erin rolled her eyes, "Wow... Oh wait! I forgot to tell you something! Ok, so my sister, Lauren, came home with a black boy a few days ago! My folks blew their tops! My father threatened the boy with a gun and my mother demanded that my sister be grounded for 8 months!"

Alana gasped, "Oh my! 8 months?" Erin nodded, "Yup! I can't even believe that she'd ever bring home a negro. I always thought she was better than that." Alana tilted her head, "You know... I don't really have a problem with colored people. I never have. It's my father I worry about. My father would shoot a colored person at sight. He's terrible. My mother is not as bad." Erin shakes her head, "I just don't think they should be equal with us."

-Hours Later-

When the bell rings, Alana quickly grabs her bag and rushes off. She takes her normal route home, but makes a different turn at the path fork. She goes down to where her special tree is. The tree is beautiful. The leaves are a gorgeous shade of green and if you climb it right, there's a perfect spot to sit.

The tree is isolated from everywhere else. There's a small stream next to it and a few flowers around it. No one ever goes down there, so Alana always feels safe when she's at the tree. She climbs up, sits in her usual spot, pulls out her journal and starts to write. She writes about what's happening around her and the changes going on. Then she starts to sketch her surroundings. She draws the stream, and the other trees around her and acknowledges how she chose only one tree throughout many others. This one was special to her.

As she continues to draw, she realizes something in the distance walking towards the tree. She looked closer and realized that it was a young man. A young... black man. She starts to worry and think to herself. ~I should get out of here. I thought no one knew about this place, but me...~ She knows how her parents feel about black people... Especially her father. ~He looks ok. I'll just stay here.~ She decides.

He walks closer and closer until he passes by the tree and sits by the stream. She studies him. She notices how muscular he is and how his clothes aren't the nicest. He looks up at her and she quickly goes back to writing. "What're you writing?" he asks her. "What?" she asks, shocked that he talked to her. "What are you writing there in your book?" he asks again.

She quietly replies, "Uh-um, just things about- uh- the world." ~The world? Really Alana?~ She thinks to herself. He smiles, "Very nice. I've never seen you here before. Did you just discover this place?" She has a confused look on her face, "I used to come here a lot more, but stopped last year because my father got nervous that I'd run into... You know...-" He cuts her off, "A negro? Yea I know."

He turns his head back to the stream and stares at his reflection. "I decided to come here anyway." She smiles. "Oh." he says then smirks. "My name's Daniel by the way. Daniel Levi." She nods and says, "My name is Alana Charter." Alana jumps down from the tree and starts on her way home. "Hey. Uh- nice to meet you Alana." he says. She turns around and says, "Um- You too... Daniel."

As she walks home she starts thinking about him. A lot. Every aspect of him. "Snap out of it!" She yells at herself as she's walking. "I'd never be able to date a colored person. Father would just never allow it." ~Why am I even thinking about dating him anyway. Gosh do I jump to conclusions.~ When she gets home, she quickly runs up the stairs and goes into her bedroom. She shuts the door and sits on her bed. She slams her back into the bed and stares at the ceiling. All she can think about is Daniel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ayeeeeee. first chapter! I hope ya'll like it! sorry for my wierd writing format and I may add different povs later but...... vote and comment pleeeeaaaaseee.