Chapter 10

Sumer Singh was almost running down the sparsely crowded street in the late afternoon sunlight to get back to Ayodhya before Indrajit arrived. He had been reluctant to leave ever since Ramdas had said Indrajit was on his way, but Prithvi had been right about not letting Hari's son go alone.  Indrajit was not likely to recognize him, but his attendant Kundan might have identified Ramdas, which would have put his life in danger.

And then he saw the grey car, speeding down the road, and came to a halt. He had not been able to reach in time....as always, he thought bitterly.

 The car screeched slowed down as it neared him and then pulled over to the side where Sumer Singh was standing. Kundan Singh was smirking disparagingly from the front seat. The dark tinted windows rolled down, revealing Indrajit's scornful countenance.  Sumer Singh gave him a slight cursory bow, and then looked up.

"Here comes the old dog, running home to his master," he jeered, "But you don't need to be so concerned. I have left him alive and well....for now."

"I pity you if you think you present any danger to him, your highness," Sumer Singh said quietly, "He can single-handedly defeat a hundred like you. You should be grateful that even though you have tried to take his life innumerable times in the past, he still does not look upon you as an enemy. But I advise you to cease your attempts now at least...because some day if you force him to change his mind and think you of a foe, all the wealth and clout in the world will not protect you from his anger."

The disdain on Indrajit's face rapidly transformed into a ghastly rage, but Sumer Singh met his gaze unflinchingly.

"You made a mistake when you chose your loyalties, Sumer Singh," Indrajit hissed, "and you will pay for it with your life."

Then the windows rolled back up and the car roared to life and sped away, leaving a cloud of dust behind. Sumer Singh continued on his way, and despite what Indrajit had said, he did not lessen his speed. He needed to see with his own eyes that everything was alright. 

When he was just nearing the house, he saw Nandini hurry through the connecting gate and almost run towards Vrindavan's door. She came to a stop on the first step, wrapped her dupatta carefully around her left hand once and then went inside. What was that about, he wondered....

 He opened the main gate, found the door open and ran inside the house.

The living room was empty.

"Prithvi!" he shouted. 

"What's wrong, Baba?"

Relief washed over Sumer Singh as he saw an unscathed Prithvi come out of the bedroom.

Seeing the old man panting as if he had been running, Prithvi strode over to him, asking sharply, "Did something happen outside? Ramdas is -"

"He is fine," Sumer Singh said, still gasping for breath. "I was worried if Indrajit had....I mean...he has tried so many times before..." he murmured, and went and sank exhaustedly on the sofa.

Prithvi went into the kitchen and came out with a glass of water. He gave it to Sumer Singh and sat down on the opposite couch. Sumer Singh drank the whole glass in one go and kept the glass on the table in the middle.

"Indrajit has been making death threats and has been trying to kill me for as long as I can remember, Baba," Prithvi said dryly. "And he is not the only one who wants me dead, either. It's become a ritual now....I almost feel neglected if two months pass without a threat or an attack."

Sumer Singh smiled ruefully, and then became serious again. "What happened here?"

"The same that happens every time. We had a nice, pleasant chat and then we hugged and said a tearful goodbye."