"I should've let you go when I had the chance."

Start from the beginning

“I’m okay, I’m just scared. I… don’t even know what happened. I—” Letting out a shaky breath, I could envision Kelsey cupping her mouth with her hand.

“Did you crash? Did you fall somewhere?” I questioned quickly, desperate to find answers to know for sure that she was still mine, still okay and still breathing.

“No, I don’t t-think I d-did. I moved out of the way b-before I could but I’m… I don’t know,” Kelsey sobbed, clearly distraught from the entire situation.

Cursing myself, I ran a hand down the side of my face, my stomach eating me up alive, “Shh, baby, it’s okay. Just—I’m going to need you to take a deep breath for me and count to ten. Can you do that?” My stomach still churned endlessly as the countless thoughts of what could have happened swirled around in my head.

“Justin…” Kelsey whimpered.

Closing my eyes at the desperation hidden within the way she said my name, I felt my heart constrict at the image of her crying. “Just do as I say, okay?”

Taking a deep, she let it out. “Okay.”

“Close your eyes baby let me know when you do.” I cooed softly, not wanting to frighten her any more than she already was.

Several seconds later, she hummed out an “I did it.”

“Now, clear your head of everything and when you do, I want you to slowly start counting from one all the way to ten, can you do that for me baby girl?”

Hesitating at first, several sounds of cars driving by were heard as Kelsey regulated her breathing. A soft “one” was heard before she quieted down and remained silent until she was done.

Glancing up at Bruce, I signaled him towards the door, “Kelsey.” I mouthed which he clearly picked up on.

Nodding his head, he made a beeline towards the door before stopping and turning to me, “Where is she?” He muttered lowly, careful enough for her not to hear.

Putting a finger up, I waited until I knew Kelsey was done, counting along with her in my head, “Kelsey?”

“Hm?”

“Where are you? Do you know what street?”

“I’m uhm… I’m a few minutes away from the school. I’m not exactly sure where,” Her small voice indicated as she informed me.

Cupping the phone under my palm, I looked at Bruce, “She’s near the school, by Brookedale and Silverstein. Find her,” And with that I turned my attention back to the phone call, “Baby, where’s Spencer?” I gritted my teeth, remembering that the bastard was supposed to be with her, somewhere close.

“He, I… I told him to go in his car, he was following me he must have been because I saw him but n-now, I don’t know, I-” She paused in which she took a deep breath and I knew then that something had to have happened because though she wasn’t saying anything, I could hear the quickening of her breath as if she’d seen something that scared her.

“Kelsey…”

I heard a car door open and close.

“Kelsey?” I pressed further, impatient for her to answer. “What’s going on?”

Cackling was heard, Kelsey’s breathing hitching completely. “Justin,” She whispered horrifically, “I th-think I see Spencer.”

My hands balled into fists at the thought of what I was going to do to him once he arrived, “Where is that prick, I’m going to kil—”