Chapter One: California Daydream

" Saw the flame, tasted sin, you burned me once again ♫ "

The sound of my alarm, and Aberdeen, rung loudly next to my ear; willing me to put an end to the loud noises so early. I just let it play for a while, this songs beat, it's words and simplicity, I don't know how but it somehow made me feel like I was in an Indie movie and I was the weird yet undoubtedly beautiful protagonist whose general presence oozed intrigue. Yet I was just me, this was just a job interview, and Aberdeen was just a song.

My phone stated " 9:06 " but my mind refused to process it was any later than six am, I knew I shouldn't have stayed up watching YouTube so late last night. I stretch and walk in to the small baby blue bathroom adjacent to my bed, the shower calling out to me. As I enter the face in the mirror wasn't one I recognised as mine but a monsters whose eyes like to swell and skin endorses blemishes, welcoming any "imperfections" with open arms. Not only did I feel exhausted, I looked suitably so, however it was nothing a good shower couldn't change - or so I thought -

" 9: 38 " Long shower, not ideal but it will do. I make my way in to the kitchen and gaze at the Lucky Charms on the counter juxtaposed with bananas in stark contrast; I reach for the Lucky Charms but make a last minute decision to have a banana and some yoghurt. I might as well make one good choice today.

All before " 11:30 " read on my phone I had completed: my make-up, my outfit ( business-casual of course ) , packed my bag, and double checked the address before ordering my Uber.

"Work?" The driver states in a fake intrigued attitude, but I was too nervous to respond immediately, I don't know why, I guess I just really wanted this editing job, the way it was written was just somehow, I don't know - different. Looking at my job interview history, it wasn't looking great, I always made some stupid joke or an obscure reference, I laughed when it wasn't appropriate or my interests and the clients just " didn't align ". How is my skill in dragging and dropping footage on to Adobe evaluated by my interests in baked aubergines anyway? I can edit the shit out of a cooking programme, on the other hand, I guess having a job I was really interested in would help on many levels.

" Urr, job interview actually." I belatedly replied, not even sure if he had forgotten his question or asked another in the time I drifted. Still drifting, I look out at the Californian environment, god it was hot, and everyone seemed so cheery somehow; maybe it's because everyone looks like a supermodel. However the most beautiful thing I've seen after moving here are the sunsets. They seem so raw and the palette seems to just evoke something in me, looking out to them either from my apartment or from whatever standpoint, they make me realise why I moved out here.

" We're here " He states, his eyes trying to lock on to mine as I was so obviously daydreaming, I reply a in fluster and hand him his money accompanied with a "thank-you". I stumble out of the car wondering if I should've worn my heeled boots, hoping the interviewer isn't shorter than me, it's probably some psychological power play thing and not me being an awkward tall person, of course. My 5"9 body walks up to the door, I didn't even think to check my phone to find out I was 5 minutes early, I examine it and notice it's like a house in some respects, just a door and a door bell, no buzzers to different apartments or complexes, I wondered if this is where they're based.

After ringing the door bell with trepidation, I await my interviewer anxiously on the door step, tapping my fingers against my side. Suddenly the door opens and I'm met with a bearded man roughly my height - to my relief - . He was wearing a red checkered top and jeans and his hair almost compelled me to touch it out of sheer curiosity, it was almost like a helmet of hair in a straight style, but was extremely dense and as his head moved his hair did accordingly. Unaware of why his head is moving being completely transfixed with his haircut, he obviously repeats himself with " Hi I'm Barry" and a smile. I snap out of it and shake his hand, exchanging my name and throwing in a "pleased to meet you" out of the kindness of my heart.