Into the west

"Elm! Elm!"

A voice called out. I turned towards the voice slowly without interest. Before I could see who it was they wrapped her arms around me. I was so confused, but as I looked at the long golden blonde hair I knew it Erulisse. She unwrapped her arms from around me and looked at my eyes.

"It's war, people are suppose to die, Elm. There was nothing you or I could do for them. It was their fate."

Erulasse told me as she put her hand on my shoulder. I looked at the ground to dead body laying on the floor next to my feet.

"How can their fates be so horrific?"

I asked her as I looked up into her eyes. Her hand left my shoulder.

"Our fate isn't made for us it was chosen for us. Now come, let us go to the mountain."

She told me as she started to walk towards the entrance of the mountain. I followed after her slowly. We walked past many scenes where we couldn't help or do anything. I felt useless, how can I be the protector of Middle Earth and not help?

"I am to go back home after the burial of the king tonight. I suggest you come with me. Afterwards you can go get your daughter and ring her to Mirkwood."

Erulisse told me as we walked into the silent mountain. A few people seeked refuge there, some weeping and some silent. Erulisse took me to the throne where Thranduil, Gandalf, Bard, and Dain stood. I bowed down to them as we entered, even though I was lost in my thoughts,I could not forget my manners.

"Who is this girl, Gandalf?"

Thranduil asked as he put his hands behind his back.

"This is Elf of Rivendell. She is the protector of Middle Earth."

Gandalf told Thranduil. The king looked at me with curious blue eyes.

"Tell me Elm, protector of Middle Earth, how old are you?"

He asked me as he approached me.

"I am fifteen years of age, my king. If you do recall I was housed in your kingdom while you were imprisoning the dwarves."

I answered with a bit of rudeness to it. Thranduil turned to Gandalf.

"They claim she is the protector of Middle Earth, yet she is so young. How can this be?"

Dain asked as he sucked on his pipe.

"Her mother is the Earth element and her father is the Fire element. The five elements; Metal, Earth, Air, Water, and Fire made up this world that we live in right now. Therefore, she was sent here to protect Middle Earth. People claim this is just an old fairy tale, but it isn't. Every thousand years the elements send a protector to Middle Earth."

Gandalf explained to them. They all looked at me with mysterious eyes.

"She is the adopted daughter of Thorin, she was raised by him until she ran away to Rivendell to learn of her powers."

Gandalf added. Dain seemed to readjust when he heard that I was Thorin's adopted daughter.

"She is the rightful heir to the throne."

Bard said through the silence. Thranduil looked at Erulisse who was standing behind me.

"If she does become queen, she will have to marry."

Thranduil added. My stomach sank at the thought of marriage.

"I was once married before, I shall not marry again."