Chapter 17.

The Galactic was Northern Lines oldest passenger steam-liner, after 20 years of faithful service, culminating in several unfortunate and embarrassing breakdowns in its final years, The Galactic, on arrival at its destination, was to be decommissioned. This was to be its final voyage, once the last of the crew left its decks, it would be scrapped. Having set sail several days earlier, the Liner quickly left behind the Florida coastline, cutting its way through the calm waters of the Atlantic Ocean, heading for its home port of South Hampton in the United Kingdom, but first it would make port on the island of Bermuda. Proudly, it sailed on through the cold clear night, unaware of its fate.

Below deck, Charles and Margery dressed for dinner, not just any dinner, but dinner with Captain Anthony Vicars himself. Proudly, Charles combed his mustache, smoothed and oiled his hair and puffed out his chest, a show in the mirror of how important he felt. Margery walked up behind him, dusted his shoulders and lapels 'Still as handsome as the day we first met, my dear' she said.

Charles smiled in the mirror at his beautiful wife and said 'the day we first met, my fragrant petal, I had snot running down my chin, and I was running home crying, having fallen and scraped my knees. I think I was five.'

She smiled over his shoulder into the mirror 'Well, maybe the second time then'

A sudden, loud resounding boom shook their room, Margery yelp in fright 'Charles, what was that, an explosion, or maybe they are clay pigeon shooting off the stern again?'

Charles shook his head 'No dear, not shooting, its night out, and it were much too loud for that. I'm not sure what it was my dear, but we can ask Captain Vicars soon enough. Don't worry my petal, I'm sure all is well'

They laughed nervously and kissed. Margery picked up her shawl and Charles fingered his pocket watch, popping it into his waistcoat pocket.

Taking her arm in his, he said 'My Petal, it's time to go.' Charles led his wife out into the corridor and walked together towards the large oak staircase that descended to the ship's ornate banquet hall. A large frosted crystal chandelier hung above their heads against a ceiling of cobalt blue, a crystal night sky. Charles hadn't noticed before, but the ship seemed to list ever so slightly to the aft. Another louder shuddering boom sent them both stumbling against the balustrade. Before long, it seemed to him as if they were walking up hill.

The ship's bell began to ring out, shortly followed by the crew running down each corridor rousing the passengers from their cabins, alerting everyone to the very real fact that the ship was taking on water and was slowly sinking. The cabin crew ordered everyone to move calmly but quickly out onto the deck, where they would be issued life jackets and directed to the appropriate lifeboat. Charles and Margery were carried along by a wave of worried passengers onto the deck and out into the frigid night air.

A young sailor frantically ran past, quickly Charles caught his arm 'Boy, what has happened, why are we sinking, tell me' Charles used his most commanding voice on the frightened crew man. Pulling his arm free the sailor shouted back as he ran on 'A boiler, it blew up, they say it's started a chain reaction and that they are all about to blow. We're going down fast'

Charles and Margery made their way to the deck and soon found themselves in the middle of a large white lifeboat, with a life jacket thrust over their head, and surrounded by other scared and confused passengers. Charles and Margery huddled together as the boat was winched down into the open waters of the Atlantic Ocean. The loving couple barely had time to come to terms with what was happening before panic erupted all around as the boat lurched downwards. The winch men struggled to stop the boat's descent, and within several feet, they did, but not before everyone in the boat were thrown down. The boat swung violently at the end of its ropes, and struck the iron riveted hull of its mother ship, hard. The crew attempted to cushion the lifeboat from further collisions by reaching out with their hands to ward off the hull.