Chapter Three

Dream

Teddy peeked from behind the door and stared, those vibrant green eyes in shock, at him.

“Diego?”

She barely even said his name when he swung around, grasping the hilt of his sword. Diego's big brown eyes, the color of perfect chocolate, softened once he realized who had called his name. He felt immediately stupid and guilty for being so quick to attack as she stood there, possibly frightened by his immediate defense. Diego was so fast he could have sent the sword flying at her head, and they both knew it. “Oh, sorry, I didn't see you there. Go back to bed, Teddy.”

She didn't even hear him. She continued to creep froward, annoying him. If she saw what he was doing, she'd go ballistic; and they'd just made up, too! He didn't- he couldn't- screw up again and lose her. He just hoped and prayed she'd take his suggestion and go back to bed.

“What are you doing?”

Crap.

“Nothing,” he said innocently, trying to slyly hide the packed bags behind him. “I was looking for an, um, pencil. Delaney always has pencils in her bag, so I'm rummaging through her stuff.” He hoped his voice was convincing enough.

Teddy yawned sleepily and rubbed her eyes. Even at her current state, disheveled-looking in Diego’s favorite football jersey with her hair if tufts, he couldn't stop thinking how beautiful she looked. I'll miss her so much.

Diego turned sharply and all Teddy could see was the back of his leather jacket. She sighed to herself and leaned against the doorway. “Don't do this.” Her husky voice was unusually shaky.

“Fine, I'll borrow a pencil from Nate's room instead. But Delaney so owes me from all the stuff she takes from-” He didn't even need to turn around to see how angry she looked and he knew to quickly shut up before he dig himself deeper into his mess. “What are you talking about?” He still refused to turn around. One glance into those big green eyes, those eyes that made him melt inside every time he saw them, he'd surely abort his plan.

“I'm not an idiot.”

“I know you're not,” he agreed, trying to secretly shove a shirt into his bag. My plane's gonna leave soon, he thought angrily. Why does it have to leave so soon? He shoved another mangled up piece of blue fabric he couldn't even identify. If I had a day, or an even another hour, to spend with her . . . His mind drifted to the impossible. But, due to her training hours and his guard duty schedules, they hadn't met up again since late last night. And she was even so tired she passed out on Diego's couch before he got back. For the past weeks, he hadn't seen that beautiful face he'd been so accustomed to. “You're the smartest person I know.”

“Diego.” He finally faced her, holding his breath. Damn! Why does it have to be this difficult? “I know you're not leaving to go study. I know you're not going out to run around the track. I know you're not on one of the King's errands. I know you're not feeding the homeless. So, for my sanity, please don't make any of those excuses. I've heard them to much in this lifetime.”

He nodded. Well there goes my alibi. “Alright.”

She stepped forward. “I've been awake for a few minutes and overheard you on the phone with Nate. You're voice is deep and loud, so I heard most of it. The plane ticket. Sending your love to your mother. You calling your lawyer about your will,” she sharply looked away. Despite her emotions, not a tear was being shed. That was one of the many reasons he loved her; Teddy rarely, if ever wept. Once her parents died, the worst way imaginable, that was the last time she cried. That whole experience; that cold night, her parents bodies strapped to the dissection tables, the blood trickling from the walls . . . she was such a strong person to get over that without any trauma. She was tough, even at age 6. “I heard it all. I even saw the actual ticket when it fell out of your bag.”