Chapter 24- The Whisper

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Angelina walked towards us,

“Malfoy had no right to say those things.”

Fred nodded angrily,

“If Madam Hooch hadn’t stopped the fight, maybe I would have joined in.”

I glanced up at the Slytherins. They were all smirking and whispering to eachother.

Angelina sighed,

“Are you alright, Ava?”

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat,

“You know what? I hate- absolutely hate- being in Slytherin.”

I pulled my scarf off and threw it on the floor angrily. I broke free from Fred’s grip and stormed across the pitch, tears still rolling down my cheeks.

No one bothered to come after me.

*                    *                    *

I closed my eyes, trying to picture my parents. The cold air whipped my hair into my face. I breathed deeply. No one had followed me to the Astronomy Tower after the Quidditch game.

I was kind of relieved because all I wanted was time alone. I needed to think.

With my eyes still shut, I pictured the smiling faces of my parents. I thought about the dreams. They had looked so happy when Sirius took their photo. Then my mother had touched my arm…

Even though my eyes were closed, a tear still managed to escape and roll down my cheek. I swallowed the lump in my throat. My mother’s face was still so clear in my mind. I could almost feel her hand on my arm now.

Don’t cry.”

A voice whispered in my ear. My eyes shot open and I looked around, but no one was there. I gulped nervously.

I placed my hand on my arm in the same place where my mother had touched me in the dream.

Trying to forget the whisper I’d just heard, I closed my eyes again.

Don’t be afraid, Ava.

I kept my eyes shut. The voice sounded so familiar.

Do what you think is right. Do what you think is right for you and your brother.

I gasped, realising who was speaking to me.

My mother.

We love you.

I tightened my hand around my arm. My mother was trying to reach me.

I began to cry again.

“Ava?”

I glanced up to see Fred standing by the entrance to the Astronomy Tower. He walked towards me,

“Are you alright?”

I nodded, wiping the tears away with the back of my hand. He wrapped his arms around me, enveloping me in a hug. He whispered into my hair,

“You don’t have to be brave just for me. You can cry, if you want to.”

I broke down and started to sob into Fred’s chest. I gulped,

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

I looked up at him,

“For being there for me.”

Fred wiped my tears away with his thumb, and sighed,

“Thank you for holding me back when Malfoy said those things.”

My eyes met his, and I smiled sadly,

“Thanks for doing the same for me.”

My heart thumped in my chest as he leant towards me. He gently kissed me on the lips before taking hold my hand,

“Come on. I think it’s time to go back inside.”

I touched my tingling lips and smiled,

“I agree.”