Chapter 19

**Please read note at bottom** :)

---

Chapter Nineteen

A journey was planned for the following week. The McKenzie’s still weren’t too pleased with the fact that Connor did not plan on making his home in Scotland, at least, but he explained to him that his home was with Sabine, and her home was England.

Deirdre was a complete and utter mess when it came time for them to leave. She was blubbering about the fact that she’d only just got her son back, and now he was leaving again. Connor promised to correspond, and that a letter would be sent just as soon as they arrived back at Southerby.

Connor and Mungo exchanged a stiff handshake, with Mungo nodding at him and calling him “Son.” Sabine knew they would get there eventually. The bond between father and son was inexplicable. It was always there, no matter what conflict that may intercede. When Mungo had said goodbye to Sabine, he reiterated his opinions on the English. “Ye know I don’ like ye English. But ye are a good lass, Lady Sabine, I don’ doubt tha’,” he’d said.

Greta and Fergus both kissed Sabine’s cheeks at the same time. They had married the weekend following Connor’s tournament and Sabine found it fascinating to watch the Scottish traditions take part. What she liked most thought, was the sash of McKenzie tartan worn across the white bridal gown. She was sure most women would find it to be an unpleasant addition, but to her it represented centuries of tradition. She wondered, just possibly, if she would be able to wear something similar come her wedding day.

Sabine smiled warmly at Heather when she said goodbye. Their friendship, if one could call it that, wasn’t like a usual friendship. Heather was still hurting, and it would take time for those wounds to heal, but Sabine truly believed that she was happy for them. Heather had a good heart, and like most young women, when it is broken, it can make one do irrational things.

When goodbye had been said to Connor’s brothers, and the many townsfolk that had gathered to see them off, their journey home had begun. She enjoyed the freedom atop Puissant as they galloped through the green, open fields of Scotland. Whenever they stopped, Connor would tell her about a place he used to travel to as a ‘lad’ and made mention that he’d like to take her to someday. He was very fond of the Scottish ‘Lochs’. She knew that they meant ‘lakes’, as she’d seen drawings of them in books as a child. He’d told her a magnificently atrocious tale of how a serpent inhabited Loch Ness and how he and his brother’s had tried to fish for it when they spend their summers by the lakes. He swore that he had seen the serpent once, but Sabine was sure it was his imagination and that's he'’ probably seen a snake in the water. She didn’t tell him this, as she believed in many things as a girl – fairies and elves and magic were popular topics that swam around in her imagination.

Within a week, they had arrived at the border. Merida was very happy to see them, happier that they were reunited and happiest at the fact that she had received an invitation from both her parents to stay at McKenzie Castle with her husband and children.

It made Sabine happy to know that, even if by pure coincidence, her wandering onto McKenzie lands reunited a broken family.

After a short three day stay with Merida and Grant, Connor and Sabine carried on into England. After miles of riding, several landmarks began to become recognisable to Sabine. Tree clusters, boulders and hills all were familiar and she knew she was edging closer to Nottinghamshire.

In the silence, she tried to rehearse what she was to say to her mother and father when she arrived home, but her mind was blank. She knew she should have written in her absence but she never knew what to write. She was foolish and impulsive, but her father was being highly unreasonable. She felt awful for her mother though. She remembered what her father had said to her the day she left and she prayed they had resolved their issues. If she’d caused their marriage to disintegrate then she would never forgive herself.