[when love hurts]

-

-

A boy is holding a girl so very tight tonight.

That was exactly what he was doing. It was past midnight, he felt drowsy and his body felt sore from sitting on the shitty plastic hospital chair, but he was still clutching Irene's left hand where there weren't needles sinking into her skin. Oh, he was holding on for dear life, afraid that if he let go, she might leave him.

"Schatje." A soft voice called out as he was pulled from his deep thoughts. "Schatje, look at me."

He looked up at her, finally opening his mouth to speak up, "Are you okay?"

The girl breathed out a small smile, a sad one, "I'm dying."

He was about to protest, but the pale, sickly thin girl had quickly interjected, "You don't have to say anything, the way you look at me says it all. And I- I love you too."

"I know you do. You're going to be okay, alright? You're going to make it."

"I appreciate the optimism, sweetheart, but you need to get home and rest for your training tomorrow."

"I'm not leaving you. I'm staying right here."

"If I promise to rest, will you promise to go home and rest too?"

The boy hesitated, staring at their intertwined hands, "Okay. Okay, deal."

He stood up and collected his belongings with a heavy heart, he didn't want to leave her. The Dutch walked over to his lover and placed a kiss on her forehead lovingly, "I'll come by again before training, okay?"

The girl nodded and murmured words that her fiancé almost couldn't catch, "While I'm far away from you, mijn alles, whisper a little prayer for me."

He smiled, "Always, liefje."

And then he took off, not knowing that it was the last time he was ever going to be able to see his lover alive.

One week later.

Daley sunk to his knees as he reached the safety of his home. He covered his face with his hands as he sobbed quietly, mourning for his fiancé who now laid six feet under th ground in the cemetery.

He fumbled with a piece of paper, a letter. A letter he wrote the night before.

25th October 2014

My dearest Irene,

You always say, "My dear, let us spend our life together until we grow old and wrinled and let us be together until our bodies are lowered to the ground."

But how could you leave me? The doctors were positive that you would make it. Why did you leave me alone? How could you leave me first?

Remember how we were each others best friend? We were each others escape. Every time you lie down beside me, you always say, "My dear, is there anybody as happy and in love as we are?"

How could you forget it all and leave me alone?

I cannot live without you. I just want to go with you, my dear please take me with you. The feeling of my love for you will fade and this suffering felt increasingly agonizing. How can I mend my heart now, and how can I live without you?

Somehow, through the days, I don't give in, I hide the tears that wait within, but then through sleepless nights I cry again.

You're gone, and it hurts.

As more tears traveled down his cheek, he crumpled up the piece of paper and threw it across the room, vowing to always love Irene.

And he did.

10 years later.

"Papa?"

"Yes, Irene?"

"First love, do you remember what it's like?"

The father sucked in a deep breath, "Trust me, sweetheart, I remember."

Daley looked at his daughter fondly, naming her after his lost lover, Irene. Inhaling deeply he reminisced the memories of his first love.

My heart is full of memories,
with pride I speak your name.
Though life goes on without you,
it will never be the same.

Irene Bosch.
She was the girl I loved. Forever.
We were a little bit messy, and death really did pull us apart.
But she and I, we were a beautiful disaster.

Somewhere in the hills,
we laughed happily,
years ago,
when everything still felt new.

• The End •