05

September, 14, 2015
》》》》》

DAN HOWELL

"Dan, we found another clue. Make your way to the station." The chief informs me through my phone. I quickly agree and hang up the phone. What could this clue possibly be? I thought everyone is clueless in this murder case. Did they find a clue without me?

Time sped up and suddenly I was in front of the station. I don't waste time and quickly rush to the meeting room. I ignore everyone I see, and try to make it faster. I barge into the room, the chief jumps at the sudden entrance before turning to me.

"Ah Dan, so glad you could make it." The chief greets.

"Yeah yeah, what's the clue?" I rush him and he laughs, quite loudly. He bends over from his fit of laughter, it begins to creep me out. Suddenly he goes still, he grabs his head and looks at me in shock. Blood begins oozing out of his forehead, and he desperately starts applying pressure to stop the flow.

The blood. It's like a waterfall, it drips down into his eyes, he closes them tightly before wheezing in pain. I'm glued to my spot, watching in horror as he falls to the floor. I look around for help but that's when I see her.

"I'm back, old friend." She whispers, a gun in her hand as she points at me. She secures her finger on the trigger, before pulling it.

--

I jerk awake and look around in horror, I should have known it was a dream, why would the chief use my real name anyways? I tightly grip my blanket, as if the floor was about to collapse underneath me.  I look around only to see the demon staring at me, she tilts her head and her dark eyes look at me with interest.

"Another one?" The demon whispers the familiar phrase. I nod, and suddenly a loud knock is heard downstairs. I cower underneath the sheets, it's probably the neighbors again. The knock silences, and a thump is heard.

"What was that?" I ask no one in general. A terrible ache in my stomach makes me whine, and the taste of copper on my tongue.

"It's another box." The demon cheers, running down the steps. I push myself off the bed and ignore my stomach ache. I rush behind the demon to the front door, the package is smaller than the last one. I could tell it was from the same person, this time the note is on top. I pick up the box, and bring it inside to find what was sent this time.

I rip open the box, and see a familiar sight, but there is more solid than liquid to this organ. I pass the box to the demon to devour as I read the letter.

I KNOW I VOLUNTEERED FOR DEATH BUT I MANAGED TO SURVIVE

I know letting the demon devour the organs from the crime scene would hurt the investigation but I can't just come forward with this. I could manage to hide the notes but what explanation would I have for the fact that they're being sent to me?

In the beginning, when I joined Holistown police I requested that my name and address never be made public. Every newspaper just stated everyone's name except mine. If I bring this forward, someone in the police could be suspected and that would just set the police force on the wrong path. Plus, this is personal. This is between me and the other person, I'm not bringing outside sources to help me trace these packages.

"Did you eat the box too?" I ask the demon, I peak over and see the box wasn't fully eaten. I sigh and grab it, throwing it under my couch. I'd take care of it later.

____

UNEDITED

Taste of copper. Hmmmmm...could that suggest something? Probably not.