Ch 17 - The Ghosts

CHAPTER XVII

THE GHOSTS

"This changes things!" Arseni gasped, helping a semi-conscious Evenova stumble alongside of him.

The Scientia Trial had ended only a few minutes after it began. Now Viktor fought against the rest of the class to escape the smoke that was billowing out of the laboratory into the hallway. Like a vengeful spirit, Instructor Illuminare sailed about in his white robes, screaming at guards to fetch water and seal the doors behind them. Whose mistake had caused the violent reaction Viktor didn't know, but somewhere between melting lead, bismuth, and alloys he couldn't name, bubbles of molten metal had burst. Several students had been hit with the silver lava—Evenova and the Gypsy twins included. Cappi's arm was slung over Viktor's shoulder and Dukker's over Roksana's as they raced toward the eastern stairwell to escape the noxious smoke.

Somewhere deep in the clouds, Rose chortled and coughed amidst her favorite atmosphere—hysteria. "Perhaps you should have made burn remedies!" she jeered. "Alas, there is no antidote for stupidity!"

Viktor grabbed Cappi's arm tighter as the Gypsy faltered. He too nearly swooned as he felt the metal teardrops that had sunk into his friend's skin.

"Tis bitter cold! And I am sick at heart!" Belch cried out, proceeding to get sick at heart all over the castle wall.

Illuminare had warned them about the effects of lead poisoning, and now all the students felt it for themselves. Those who had Vertigone and Mindset infusions were downing them like water; Viktor wished he had saved his. His head and stomach ached and his coordination was off as they descended the eastern staircase. He could only imagine how Evenova and the twins felt.

Somehow they made it back to the servant quarters. The injured collapsed on a bed, and Roksana attended to them immediately. Spotting a jug of water, she splashed it over their wounds—to sighs of relief—and then found a pocketknife. It would be a wretched task to dig out bits of metal that were embedded in their skin.

Evenova clamped her eyes and mouth shut, but Cappi spoke in a hiss. "Sorry—we ruined it—missed Bogatir's keys."

Dukker nodded, sweat dripping down his face as he watched his sister's blade.

"Plan's off," said Arseni.

"No, this is our chance," Viktor argued. "We wanted a distraction—this is it!"

"It doesn't matter—not if we don't have the keys," said Arseni.

Viktor's hazy gaze returned to Cappi. "You still left the bottle for Bogatir to find, right?"

The acrobat dipped his head.

"Where does the sergeant stay?" Viktor asked.

"Eastern tower," gasped Dukker, "second story—fourth door—on the right."

Arseni looked at Viktor. "You really think he'll still fall for it?"

"He's putting out those fires as we speak," said Viktor. "He'll be pained worse than us. There's no way he won't fall for it."

Arseni shot Roksana a look that couldn't be misread: "Get them ready to flee if need be. The Ghosts may be freed tonight after all."

**

Viktor and Arseni felt the rumble of Sergeant Bogatir's mountainous form staggering down the second floor hallway. Listening from around the corner, they heard the fumbling of keys and then a pause. Sure enough, the elderberry brandy was hoisted up, followed by another pause and deep guzzling. Once a door finally creaked open, it was paired with the crash of a giant and a broken bottle hitting the floor. The snores took longer, but when they started, it was like a steam locomotive had broken into Staryi Castle and chugged down the hallway. Viktor and Arseni savored the brief victory. The plan—unlike the train—was back on track.