Chapter Five [Final Beta]

Start from the beginning

Though Rachael would never say anything—she had too gentle a heart. Since Rachael had helped Lizzie steal Saj away from the Birthers up north, she had never heard an unkind word.

The air was crisp and cold, but the sun already shone off the snow. And the sky was clear and cloudless. The only warmth she felt came from how near she was to Saj. She hadn't allowed herself to miss him. Not until she was sure she was coming back.

At Rachael's dorm room she tapped gently on the door. Its hollow core echoed more than she expected. She winced, hoping she hadn't woken the neighbors or Saj. It was still early.

"Be right there," Rachael's voice called. "Changing a diaper."

Lizzie tried the door. The knob turned. She entered. "Just me."

"Sissie!" Saj's voice conveyed his excitement as he fought against Rachael's hands holding him firm while she placed the velcro tabs.

"Glad those weren't pins." Rachael released her charge to come at Lizzie.

Lizzie's heart melted. She smiled widely. "Saj? You better get ready. Sissie's coming!" She made an airplane sound and entered the bedroom 'flying' at full speed.

Saj squealed, wide-eyed. "Sissie, sissie, sissie."

She couldn't bring herself to have him call her mommy. He was more like a kid brother than her kid and she was happy to be his Sissie. Well, at some point he would probably call her Lizzie like everyone else.

"Welcome home, Sissie." Rachael said softly, a smug look on her face.

"You knew."

"That you were coming back? Sure. How could you leave this little monster?" Rachael scooped up the squirming boy and held her arm out to Lizzie. "Jess and I started a pool on when you would be back. I'll have to see if I won."

Lizzie chuckled and took the offered hug. "You did not!"

Rachael smiled and checked the clock behind her.

"Oh, shit, did I make you late, too?"

"No. I already called in. I wanted to talk. If you've got the time."

"Well, I could use a shower."

"Then take one," Rachael suggested, sniffing loudly in her direction, "please."

"Stinky?" Saj giggled and started sniffing, too. "Sissie, play?"

"Or don't." Rachael grinned as Saj rolled himself over on the bed and slid down to the floor.

He ran to Lizzie and wrapped his arms around her legs.

"Don't, I guess." She tousled Saj's curly hair. She scooped him up, blowing his belly like she used to do with Jayce. "What do you want to talk about, Rach?"

"Never mind." Rachael stood there, watching Lizzie play with Saj. "It was just a thought but I can see it was stupid."

"Out with it!"

Rachael sighed. "Well, you know that back in the breeder compound. They picked me out to be his mom, and then... I thought... Like I said, it's stupid. I'll never have what you have with him."

"I'm going to be a good mom," Lizzie said.

Rachael's face registered shock. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Why not? It's what everyone else is thinking."

Rachael gaped at her.

Lizzie sighed. "But not everyone is as kind as you are."