Chapter Twelve

"Hector!" Kwazii leapt up onto the side of the ship, his face lit up with a familiar expression of excitement and wonder. After him trailed Nut, evidently much less happy to be on the deck of the pirate ship.

Hector turned, realising who it was, and for the moment ignoring Nut, who seemed determined to outstare the floor. "Kwazii! You returned! Have you made your decision?"

"I have," agreed the young pirate cat, looking around the ship with big eyes, drinking it all in.

Hector looked impatient. "So? Are you joining us?"

"I'd love to!" Kwazii said excitedly. "But -"

"But?" Hector prompted.

Kwazii suddenly drew away, his face changing to an unreadable expression. Still a smile, but - different, somehow. "But can you just tell me one thing, before I join you?"

"Anything," Hector assured him, his hand still outstretched, waiting for Kwazii to take it.

"Is it worth it?" Kwazii asked. The pirate captain faltered, confusion slipping like a thin shroud over his handsome features as Kwazii continued. "Is it worth it, all the pirate raiding, and the stealing of lost treasure, and the terrorising of innocent villages? Because that's what you do, isn't it?"

Hector's mouth fell slightly ajar, dropping his hand to his side. "How did - why -"

"You told me it was nothing like that. But I went and looked up my idol, the infamous Hector, in one of the  professor's books in the library. And that's what it showed you doing." Kwazii looked up at him, sudden pain in his eyes as he digested this news. "You're bad pirates."

"Define 'bad'," Hector said smoothly, regaining his cool. "It's not all black and white in the pirating world. We receive maps from - sources, and use them to find buried treasure. Just like you do, Kwazii. Just like you've always dreamed of doing properly. You're Calico Jack's grandson. We need you. It's in your blood."

"You really think so?" Kwazii asked quietly. For the first time, genuine indecision was in his green eyes.

"I know so," assured Hector, realigning his hand out to Kwazii, who nearly took it. Nearly.

But then he remembered his own crew. And Tweak, who he had to save. And the fact that he now knew Hector had been lying to him. Lying to them all. Couldn't he be so easily doing that again?

"I think I've made my decision," Kwazii said quietly. "It took me this long, and I wasn't sure, even at this point, where I thought I had already made it."

"Yes? Yes?" Hector asked, confident and waiting for Kwazii to take his still outstretched hand.

"Because, y'know, suddenly I'm not so sure I want to be part of your crew anymore," Kwazii said, deliberately keeping his voice level and casual. Hector's jubilant expression froze on his features as he registered the words.

"You'll regret this decision for the rest of your life," Hector warned. "You could be on a pirate crew, like your grandfather. You could have sailed with me. Your idol."

"But I could never regret this decision as much as I would regret leaving the Octonauts," Kwazii said loudly. At these words his crew seemed to appear around him, Peso and Dashi creeping up at either shoulder, Barnacles and Shellington right behind. Even Tunip and a couple of Vegimals were there, looking around in wonder at the pirate ship.

Kwazii's strong, confident expression faded slightly. "And yes, I probably will wonder what it would have been like joining you at some points. I'm sorry Hector, but my heart lies with the ocean, and the crew that protects it." Then he straightened up again, making unwavering eye contact with his idol. "Now where's my best friend?"