Chapter Forty Two - Deep and Meaningful

"Sorry I attacked you," Heath murmured gently, his breath tickling the side of my breast as his head rested on my chest, his body draped over my own.

It should have been uncomfortable considering that we hadn't moved in what felt like hours but it didn't. I enjoyed playing the part of his pillow.

I chuckled, "Are you really sorry?"

His laugh was deeper, "No. Not really. I enjoyed that interlude."

"Interlude? That's a fancy word."

His fingers tickled as he skimmed them down the length of my inner arm, "I'm known to whip out the bigger dictionary words sometimes."

Tongue in cheek, I ran a finger around the rim of his ear, "Is that the only thing you're known to whip out?"

He coughed and lightly slapped my thigh, "Don't be naughty. I actually fail at being a bad boy, I don't do drugs, barely drink and I am most certainly not a womaniser."

Wondering at the tone in his voice, I smoothed my fingers through his hair. "I've never said that you are."

"Most people just assume it. I'm a fighter and only twenty one. It seems that the only thing newspapers ever worry about is who is sleeping with whom."

"I'm not most people, Heath," I replied, surprised to see that the sun was at its lowest point. Night was almost upon us and all I had achieved so far was to engage in a deeply enticing make out session followed by a long bout of quiet cuddling.

"I know, Alira. That's why I like you so much. You understand everything about life in the spotlight and yet you're not really affected by it."

I sighed, "Not yet because my father has managed to keep me out of it but some day it'll all come out. In fact, I think that he has plans to tell the media where I've been going to school."

He lifted up so that I could into his eyes, "Why would he do that? I thought that that was what prompted your little breakdown yesterday?"

I resisted rolling my eyes at the 'breakdown' comment, "I wanted to protect everyone and yes, I thought that distancing myself from your family would help River stay out of it but after today, I think that Dad will go public and make a donation to the school so that it stays open."

"He's dealt with the principal?"

I nodded, "Yeah, today. Apparently the school's funding has been reduced so much that it's not functioning well enough to improve assessment results. The principal was too stuffed with ashamed pride to just schedule a meeting with my father or inform the other families – instead, he tried to bribe me. His reasoning was so twisted that I don't even understand it."

"He's gone though, right?" Heath's eyes softened before he lowered his nose, caressing the line of my cheekbone. "I'm disappointed. I wanted to break his face."

I breathed in, his scent musky, "I thought you just said that you're the good bad boy."

"I am," He whispered, making me shiver, "But I don't like it when dicks in positions of authority threaten my girl."

My eyes widened, "Your girl? We haven't had that talk yet."

He shrugged, his face buried in the crook of my neck, "What talk? We like each other. What else do we really need to discuss?"

"River knows," I admitted, dreading the coming interrogation from my curious friend.

"Of course he does. He's already had the protective 'hurt her and I'll kill you' speech with me."

"When?"

"At the sleepover while you were waiting in his room after your shower. I admitted that I was a bit infatuated and he decided to set me straight although it was unnecessary. I don't play with women, I never have and you will be the first girl I've actually dated."

"Seriously?" I couldn't help the incredulous tone.

"Seriously. When I was younger, I was always training and since then, the only real options have been women who want my money or to be counted as my arm candy. You may not want to know this but I won't lie, I'm not a virgin but that was just a drunken one night stand that I don't remember."

"You seem a lot more experienced than that although I don't have anything to compare it to," I blushed. I was thankful that he was willing to be so open but I also found the topic extremely awkward.

"I watch a lot of TV," He answered, his mouth twisted with humour.

"Ok, too much information," I wrinkled my nose in disgust. "So, are we going into the house any time soon?"

"Had enough of me?"

I shook my head, "No but you need to speak to River soon and your parents are pretty stressed."

He looked away, "I don't know what to say to him. I'm pissed that she found a way to contact him after everything that happened. She completely fucked him over and then acted like he should harden up once she was caught out. He was barely sixteen for fuck's sake."

Agitated, he jumped his feet and began to pace as I pulled my shirt back down so that it covered my stomach and sat up.

"He told me," I informed him quietly.

He thrust a hand into his hair and blew out a frustrated breath, "It was hell for everyone and I can't see what good could come from him seeing her again now."

"He wants closure. He told me that he doesn't really understand how she managed to take over his life," I sighed and crossed my legs, "Can you blame him? His time with her was filled with alcohol and exploratory sex if what he told me is right. He was a young adolescent who fell for an older girl who then introduced him into a life which was too indulgent for him to handle."

"He told you all that?"

I nodded.

"I don't want that for him again, Kitten. What if she ends up destroying his life here?"

"She won't because we won't let her. I don't like the prospect of him seeing her but I can respect his reasoning." I slowly rose to my feet and stepped in front of him, breaking up his dizzying circles. "I've already told him that I would support him."

His jaw clenched, "I guess I expect nothing less but it makes me more worried that you'll be involved. Fuck, none of us need this right now. We're still settling and you've got too many problems already."

I hesitantly pressed a palm to his hand, relieved when he covered it with his own, "I don't mind these problems. I don't care what happens at school anymore, it's taken all these years to figure out that I was being really stupid. Once it became clear that Miranda and all of her sheep were going to keep me isolated, I should have just left but I was too stubborn and probably too hopeful that I could meet at least one person who didn't know about my family. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful because now I have River but I still should have left Ashton behind ages ago. And this thing with Camilla," I shrugged, "I'll make sure that she doesn't even get the chance to hurt River. He's my only friend and I won't let some bitch ruin him for entertainment or for some sort of too late feeling of remorse."

Heath used his other hand to cup the back of my head, dragging until our noses were touching, "I love that fierce little kitten hiding in there." He smirked, "And River isn't the only one you've got." He kissed me gently, "You've got me too but you need to promise me something about my brother."

"What?" I breathed.

"Make sure one of you lets me know what's happening before he does something stupid. I'll talk to him about it all and explain why I don't him to go but I won't stop him." He still didn't sound happy about it but his acceptance took some of the weight off of my shoulders.

"You're a good brother," I smiled, happy.

"Of course I am," He chuckled. "I'll be a good boyfriend too."

"Boyfriend?" I choked, "I've never heard you ask about dating. All I've gotten is..." I blushed.

His laugh was delighted as he swept me into a hug, "So cute. There will be dates, many awesome dates where I'll take you out and steal kisses in every corner I can find."

"You still haven't actually asked, Tigger."

"Will you be my girlfriend, Alira?"

I smiled and started running for the door as soon as he released me, "I'll think about it."