Chapter Seven, Part One

Start from the beginning

            "No. The current Duke of Bradford prefers his time in Scotland in his ancestral home. He hardly comes to London."

            Harry's gaze was elsewhere, and he said, "I believe your lady has arrived."

            Edward's hazel eyes looked in Harry's direction, and his breath was caught. Coming down the stairwell in a dark green taffeta dress was Lexa, and by God, she was beautiful.

When she hit the bottom of the steps, Lexa was hoarded with guests. After thanking them, she made her way towards Caroline and hugged her.

Beside her was Dorothea, whom she hadn't seen in a long time.

            "Dora!" Lexa exclaimed as she hugged her.

            Miss Dorothea Sully had married the second son of the Duke of Montrose. Because she had a family to think about, she hardly made it to London anymore.   Still, it was good to see Dora here. Dora and her dark curly hair and brown eyes, with a crooked smile, she missed.

            "Oh Lexa," Dora gushed, "I can't believe your finally getting married!"

            "It was about time too," snorted Caroline, "Did you know that she still going about with her 'natural studies?"

            "I don't see that being a problem," said Dora, "in fact, Arthur is thinking of coming to London to join the Botanical Society of London."

            "Really?" exclaimed Lexa, "I must see for myself then."

            Caroline groaned in horror, "First study of animals, and now plants? God, you two are weird."

            Lexa huffed, "How rude. I'm not changing anything you know. James has been writing up on German East Africa, and told me wonders of the Savannah."

            Dora asked, "Is he still there?"

            "Yes," said Lexa. "His latest guide is to be published by Chapman & Halls. Mr. McFare told him so."

            "Fascinating!" said Dora, eyes sparkling, "I must buy it soon."

            Caroline groaned again. Lexa couldn't help but smile.  While she and Caroline where different with the regard to interests, Lexa was more comfortable with Dora, who shared her interests.

            Then the music stopped and a graceful tap to his champagne flute, Lord Pembroke cleared his throat and started with his speech.

            "My dear guests," began Lord Pembroke, "I thank you all for coming to my home to celebrate the engagement of my eldest daughter to Lord Douro."

            As her father made his way with his speech, Lexa took a deep breath and made her way towards Edward. Edward noticed her, and gave her a small smile.

            She flushed, and her father concluded, "And now. Let us allow the couple to lead us in the first dance of the evening."

            Lexa swallowed, bile burning her throat. She felt Edward gently take her hand, tucking into her arms and she stiffened. Turning up to him, she allowed him to lead her on to the dance floor. The guests were crowded around her, and as the music played again, Edward snaked his arm around her waist and started to dance. Soon afterwards, as she and Edward continued to dance, others followed in with them.

            She relaxed slightly, relieved that she and Edward were no longer the center of attention.

            "You finally relaxed," he said.

            Lexa looked up at him, and said, "Pardon?"

            "You were very tense when I lead you on the ballroom floor," Edward conceded, "And very uncomfortable."

            "That's because," Lexa slowly said, choosing her words, "I simply dislike being the center of attention. Even if its my engagement ball my father is hosting."

            "Why?" Edward asked, "Any other girl would be delighted to be the center of attention. Especially on her engagement ball."

            Lexa sniffed, dramatically, "Well, I'm not like other girls. I get terribly nervous." She shuddered, "All those eyes gazing upon you, it nerve-wrecking. I prefer doing other things."

            "Like what?" he asked, as she spun her around.

            Lexa pursed her lips, deciding on what to tell him.

            Edward was well aware that Lexa was very hesitant. And to be truthful, it bothered him that he didn't know what was making her pause. Then Edward had a dreadful thought. Was she questioning the engagement? Was she staring to regret accepting his offer of marriage? It had been so sudden. Hell, with it, the whole marriage was so sudden! She was his sudden bride!

            But Edward had to, no; need to, know what she was thinking. So he asked, "Are you thinking of calling off the engagement?" he asked, "Because if you wish it, I will not blame you for your decision."

            They stopped dancing, standing there amidst the couples dancing. Taking his hand, Lexa said, "We can't discuss our matters here."

            So she and Edward made their way past the dancing guests, and made their way towards the balcony. They stood at the balcony's rim, and faced each other

            "Well," said Lexa, her gray eyes looking at him, "to be truthful, I did consider."

            Edward flinched, and Lexa knew that her words, regardless of the truth, hurt him.

            "But," she conceded, "I decided that what I wanted is to marry you. And I do want you, Edward. I want to be your wife and live merrily to old age. And it was that, which outweighed the doubtful thoughts of consideration."

            "God, Lexa," Edward breathed, "I want you too."

He came towards her, and took his hands to cup her face. Her gray eyes with brilliant, and her lips were red and seductive. She was smiling at him, and Edward saw an adorable secret of hers. She had dimples. He thought those slight indications in her cheeks were lovely.

            "I feel that our marriage will be successful," she whispered, as he lowered his head towards hers.

            "How can you be sure?" he asked, his lips inches from hers.

            "I know it. I can't feel it in my bones."

            And then he kissed her.