The Abomonation Man

Haley entered the dusty hallway where the middle of the abandoned mansion lay. She'd been hired to clean out the house of a rich man, once a soldier convicted of genocide, who died of his injuries a few hundred years ago. The mansion didn't feel like a home - more like a haunted house. The light shone through the windows and the cracks in the floorboards creaked as she walked on them, sweeping the dust from the corners of the room.

Walking further down the dimly lit hallway, she saw a small trapdoor. Opening it up, she went down underneath to clean out the cellar. Perhaps they could make this place a study or laundry room for the next tenants? As she descended the stairs, the light began to fade away and soon it was as dark as night.

Trying to work with the dim streaks of light going through the gaps in the floorboards, she started to move the strange cardboard boxes out near the staircase and swept the edges of the floor. Soon, she couldn't see anything and took out her phone, a dim light to support her whilst she tidied the place, ready for renovation. It was starting to get increasingly colder as she walked through the cellar. She felt for a wall, but there was none, just empty space. Never had she known a cellar as big as this...

She shone the light of her phone in front of her. All she could see was boxes and empty space. It was too big to clean that day. They'd just have to find a way of cleaning it out afterwards. She walked back towards the area of the staircase, where the trapdoor lay wide open.

Suddenly, she heard a slam. The room became dark and colder, whilst creaking noises started to emerge. The trapdoor had somehow shut on its own. Haley became scared. She wandered up the stairs; however she screamed as she slipped, realizing the light of her phone was not enough to guide her. The door was shut tightly and could only be opened from the outside... She screamed out, hoping the builders that came with her would hear her, however nobody answered. Her phone was running out of battery, and she shivered, looking down at the cold, dark insides of the cellar.

She shone the light around. The light shone onto a little wooden sign, with little black letters carved into them. Haley walked towards the sign to examine the letters closer. It was much further into the depths of the cellar. She squinted as she tried to make out the letters.

Walking closer, she realized that it said 'OUT' with a little arrow pointing into the direction of the cellar. There must be a door or something at the other end,she thought with a sigh of relief. Still, it was pretty scary being all alone in a dark tunnel.

Haley walked deeper into the cellar. It seemed like it would never end; she was walking around and touching the walls next to her. She was just about to doubt that there ever was an opening, when she saw another sign. It had an arrow pointing the way she was going. The sign gave her a little relief. Then, her phone light shone onto a newspaper, with an article titled "Abomination Man Kills 200."Wiping off the cobwebs, she picked up the paper and read the first paragraph:

1926: Abomination Man John Diskuff of Germany kills 200.
200 British citizens were killed after a soldier under the name of 'John Diskuff' set a forest on fire. The accused man is nowhere to be found and is rumored to be injured, either one or both legs disfigured after a previous, serious bombing.

It was probably the doing of the man that lived in this house. Genocide and a German soldier - it matched. It was this ruthless killing machine that was nicknamed 'The Abomination Man,' for his doings.

Haley walked further into the cellar, hoping to see a door, but the light revealed nothing. Then, she spotted another sign in the distance, written in black letters. 'Keep Going,' it said, with an arrow pointing further into the darkness. Whoever made the signs must've thought people wanted to go to the loo or something. Haley walked further in, spotting another sign. This time, it was written in small red letters.