chappy 27

"Are you going to get up any time soon, or do I have to bite you?" Kyuubi sighed as he poked at the sleeping figure of Naruto. It was getting late and the competition would be starting soon. Naruto was out like a light, snoring loudly. Kyuubi silenced the alarm clock, which had been ringing for close to thirty minutes, knowing it wouldn't do anything if it hadn't already. The fox snorted as he tried tickling underneath the blonde's nose with the tip of his tail. Somewhat defeated the fox stalked off only to return a moment later pushing a large plastic container filled with ice and water. The container's original contents, Naruto's dirty laundry, now lay scattered across the floor.

Kyuubi looked to the floating ice cubes wondering if it would be enough to wake the sleeping Nin. The fox shrugged slightly and then proceeded to dump the icy water over the blonde's body. A small gurgling noise was made as the water sprayed out of Naruto's mouth, a shiver as the cold seeped in, and then a scream as Naruto awoke to a rather amused Kyuubi.

"I hate you." Naruto said with a shiver as he rose out of his bed.

"Good morning to you too, Sunshine." The fox said sarcastically.

"Did you have to get my whole bed wet?" Naruto said as he went to get something dry to wear.

"With all the drool oozing out of your mouth, I thought a little more water wouldn't make much difference." Naruto sighed and continued to get dressed, trying hard to ignore the fox. "Well, you don't have to give me the cold shoulder you know."Kyuubi smirked.

Naruto scowled. "Must you constantly torture me?"

"And now I get an icy response? Didn't mean to dampen your spirits."

"Your jokes are all washed up..."

"See? Now you're getting the hang of it!"

"Nice day, isn't it?" Naruto asked Hinata, who he had met on the outskirts of the shopping district. The dark haired girl had been on her way to the competition when she met up with the blonde.

"Yes it... it seems really calm" Hinata said after a short pause, realizing just how eerie everything seemed. As they walked, Hinata noticed how little wildlife they encountered. Although there were birds chirping it still seemed somewhat odd. "Like the calm before a storm..." She trailed off as she took a look into Naruto's worried blue eyes.

"That may be an understatement" he sighed. "Listen Hinata... I want you to be prepared because..." Naruto turned to the girl, looking her straight in the eye. "This might be the start of a war today..." He stopped short as Hinata gave a worried gasp.

"A-a war?" she asked somewhat shaken. "Who?..." She was unable to finish.

"Sound and Sand, but listen I want you promise me that you'll keep yourself safe." Naruto stared at her a while before continuing. "If there is going to be an attack, it's going to be during Sasuke's and Gaara's match." Naruto let the news sink in.

"D-does the Hokage know?" she asked, only her stutter letting her worry show. Naruto nodded. As she looked deep in to his eyes, Hinata suddenly thought he seemed older, his eyes seeming to hold pain and wisdom one would only see in an elderly man.

"What ever happens promise me you'll be ok... I don't want to loose you." Naruto said.

Dumbfounded, Hinata could only nod. "Will you do the same?" Hinata asked, worried. "I-I don't wanna loose you either, you know." She said as an attempt to lighten the mood.

Naruto gave a soft smile and nodded, grinning as he raised a hand with his pinky up. Hinata smiled as well and wrapped her pinky finger around his. The simple gesture sealed their promise.