Chapter 7: The Envelope

Bell and I walk out of the exit, hand in hand, both teary eyed and over the moon excited. That's it. The concert is truly all over. I will always remember it as the day my dreams came true.

I look around the sea of crowded beliebers and just smile. I can't believe that out of all the girls here, Alison chose me as the OLLG. I never thought I'd end up on the stage, being serenaded by my idol, my inspiration, my everything.

When Justin held me in his arms, it felt like I was holding the world in my hands and I didn't want to let go. Girls around me look at me, noticing me as tonight's OLLG, I kind of felt bad for all of them. Just like me, it was their dream to become OLLG, and they all wanted to be the girl who took home the crown. Instead, it was me, Caitlyn Prinston, the most imperfect and ordinary girl you'd ever meet. I was the OLLG.

Bell and I wait for a taxi, still shaking with excitement. 

"Tonight was amazing, I can't even explain how great it was.", says Bell with a crackled voice (probably sore from screaming so much), squeezing onto my hand. "I just want to get home and tell everyone all about it! I mean, what is everyone going to think when they find out you were OLLG? OMG, Jamie will be so jealous! I'm writing a facebook status right now!"

I just laugh. I haven't even thought about telling anyone yet. All I want to do is get home and open this envelope. What's inside it, anyway? It's a dark purple colour and it shines slightly in the dim-light. It has big, cursive writing that covered the front of it, reading: One Less Lonely Girl. I just want to rip it open, but I think I should wait until I'm alone and not in front of Bell. I know she's happy for me, but I don't want to shove it in her face.

"Come on, Caitlyn, the Taxi's here!", says Bell, pulling on my hand and snapping me out of my daze.  "16 Old Prairie Court, Paradise.", she tells the taxi driver before he backs out of the park and drives up onto the freeway.

"You'll never guess what happened!" says Bell, starting up a conversation with the taxi driver.

"Like he wants to know, Bell.", I mumble grumpily to her.

"It's alright. I don't usually talk to my customers, so it's nice to have a little conversation with them every now and then.", the big, buff taxi driver replied.

Bell blabs on for the rest of the car-ride, telling him all about our night. I stare outside the window until finally the taxi driver pulls up at her house.

I'm spending the night there. I often spent my weekends at Bell's or she comes to mine. She's like family to me and I love her to pieces. I often wonder what brings us so close. Whether it's because we're so alike or the fact we've known each-other since we were in diapers. Usually, friends like Bell and I would get sick of eachother, but I've never gotten sick of being around her, and hopefully she isn't totally sick of me.

I'm still staring at the glossy envelope when Bell opens the front door and pulls me inside. I can only just see under the dim hallway lights and hear the faint sound of a TV in the background.

"Dad must still be up.", Bell says, locking the door behind us. "Go take your stuff into my room and get ready for bed. I'll meet you in there later." 

I pull my luggage down the hallway and into Bell's poster-covered room. I plonk my bags onto the floor and lock the door. I look down at my handbag and noticed the envelope sticking up. So, I take this opportunity to open the envelope and find out what's in it.

I grasp it tightly in my hands and hold it up to the light, but the envelope is a dark purple and I can't see through it. I don't want to tear it right open, but I'm just so curious. I can rip the seal off right now, but this is so special and I don't want to ruin the envelope.

I take a pair of scissors out of Bell's pencil case and carefully try cutting the corner of the envelope without ruining whatever's inside it. I cut up the edge of the envelope attentively, and out slips a golden letter.