Falling for you: Chapter three

Chapter three

By the time Carter left it was seven already. I thought about showering first before ordering dinner.

Just as I was about to run up the stairs my mother came in through the back door.

She came home early today. Even before Austin and I could order dinner from the cute restaurant down the street. Normally, her early is usually 10 o'clock.

That's not her fault though. She works as a nurse and her shifts is most at night.

'Hey honey.' She greeted me cheerily dropping some grocery bags on the counter.

'Mom!' I said shocked.

'Your home?' I asked more myself than her. She hummed in response.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

'Yes.' She sang.

She sang.

She hasn't sang since after the day her and dad got a divorce.

'Why?'

'Oh come on, is it a bad thing now coming home to my own house after a wonderful day work.' She said smiling showing her pearl white teeth.

Wonderful day at work.

Oh my God this is serious.

She hates her job. She always wanted to be a singer. But see how things turned out now.

'Are you okay?'I asked concerned carefully clasping her shoulder.

'Never better.' She replied. While I gave her a skeptical look.

'Okay fine I'll tell you.' She said moving to get out the groceries and I nodded in return.

She got out a pan and different ingredients. She's cooking. I thought.

This better be good.

'Okay I met this guy-' she started but was cut off by me.

'You met someone.' I said faking a hurt expression.

'Yeah.' She said dreamily not noticing the hurt in my face.

Oh my is she in love? It's been two years since the divorce. Dad and her tried to keep their marriage going but they lost the spark. It was too obvious. Right now they are just best friends.

'What's his name?' I asked sitting on one of the stools near by watching her cook.

'Mikey.' She said as if she was under a trance.

'Mikey?' I asked confused snapping her from Lala land.

She cleared her throat shaking her head a little before speaking up.

'Michael.' She said.

'Michael huh? When did you guys first meet?' I asked.

'When I first started working at the hospital.' She said cutting vegetables.

'What? You were dating him when you were still with dad?' I asked confused.

'God no.' She said shaking her head. 'He is my boss.'

'Oh my God his your boss. I can't believe your being that kind of-' I was saying but was interrupted.

'Oh No, no-no. Layla shut up. That's just wrong.' She said.

'Then what?'

'Some months after your dad and I got divorced. He asked me out, but I said no. He kept on asking and I kept on declining. Until one faithful day I said yes. He took me to a fancy Italian restaurant. It was perfect. We went on more dates and now we decided it was time to tell the kids.' She said still looking dreamy like a school girl going on and on about her first kiss.