Two - Secrets

...

Wednesday, May 29, 2013, Later

By the time I had hidden the envelope between the pages of an old textbook and made it into the kitchen, people were already milling around, offering condolences to Mom, Marcus, and Myranda, and in a moment they are all over me, too. It's awkward, since many of these people are Dad's collegues and former students who I don't know, and so I don't know how to respond to them.

So I take a seat on the sofa, ignoring a disaproving look from Myranda, who clearly would prefer that I tried to pretend I was in a sociable mood. I think of the letter hiding upstairs, briefly wondering if it was truly safe in my room, and I catch Marcus's eye from his vantage point in the doorway. He raises an eyebrow, questioning the look on my face, no doubt, and I feel heat rush to my face as I quickly avert my gaze.

Most people only stay for an hour or so, and as the last few make their exits, it becomes apparent to me that the catering service wasn't needed - it seems everyone who'd shown up had brought baking or casseroles. Myranda and Marcus, who had been invited by one of Dad's collegues for dinner, leave not long after old Mrs. Beattie returned to her home across the street. Mom had politely declined the offer, and I had excused myself from the invite for Mom's sake.

Alone in the house again, I realize my staying behind did Mom little good - almost as soon as we are left alone, she retreats to her bedroom with the excuse of a headache. I wait downstairs for a moment, debating whether or not I should follow Mom, but almost immiediately, I can hear soft weeping, faintly muffled by the closed door.

So I return to my room, where I lock the door, and after flicking on my bedside lamp, I take out the letter. It's with much anticipation and shaking hands that I slide the letter from its envelope. It reads:

it's with lots of anticipation and shaking hands that I slide the dry paper out of the envelop. It reads:

Dearest Aeryn,

This letter is for your eyes only, so I pray it makes its way to you and not another pair of hands.

If you are reading this, then my worst fear has come true, and something has occurred to keep me from finishing my life's work.

What I've been working on, since before you and Myranda were born, is something that could, if proven, rewrite the laws of physics and alter the world we now know.

I'm leaving it up to you to complete my work, Aeryn, because you alone are trusted to understand what I'm giving to you. Besides, I think you've always sensed you're my favourite. It only makes sense that you'd be the one to receive the greatest inheritance, if also the most dangerous.

Any clues you need to recover the files - that I've hidden in a secret location for you to find - is to be found within my office at work. Remember this clock and you'll find what you need. Trust no one completely and most not at all - the same people who have spent decades hunting me down - and likely killed me if you're reading this - will stop at nothing to destroy my files.

I love you, Aeryn, dont ever forget that. I'm only sorry I've put my work before you girls - I hope you can forgive me. As much as you can, look out for your mother an sister, I've always known you're the strongest among us and they'll need that when I'm gone.

Oh, and one more thing - once you've obtained the files, you'll have to locate a man who has the missing piece in my theory puzzle. Details on how to find him are attached to the files.

I know you can do this, baby girl. Just be strong, be careful, and be everything I've raised you to be.

I love you, more than words can say.