Chapter 3

____________

Edited 5/16/19

    My hands gripped at the grass underneath me as I wailed in pain, my body snapping it felt like. I felt battered and beaten, crying like an absolute baby with snot and everything running from my nose. My nails down to the pores of each hair follicle felt discomfort that I tried desperately to ignore and couldn't. This was nothing I have experienced before, and I admit to the terror I feel.

    I squeezed my eyes shut once they seared in a heated pain, slowly feeling like I was sinking into the grass due to the way I was lowering my body down. It felt as if my spine were being stretched or pulled out from my body, and each bone up and down my limbs felt broken. 

    I screamed out when my head snapped back. My eyes were shedding tears incredibly fast; this pain was unimaginable. I fell to my side then, unable to support my body weight any longer due to the way my skeleton was beginning to form. A fetal position is what I soon curled into.

    I blinked through my tears but then screamed again, though this time it sounded animalistic and feral. Soon my pain began to subside despite the internal damage I felt within the walls of my mind. I felt dizzy, unable to process which way was up from down, but I tried to lean up anyway.

    The first thing I notice is the way I can't move my fingers and how it feels easier to roll over to my stomach than it normally would. I look down and see deep ebony and charcoal-tinged fur on two long and muscled legs that looked like that of a canine. I inhaled sharply, throwing myself backward and finding I had oddly shaped back legs, too. 

    I was unable to stand at first, stumbling and crumbling back down to the ground when I attempted to. I shook my head once I gathered my composure and consoled myself only barely, taking a moment to see where I am. The area looked foreign, me being surrounded by a thick forest that seemed barren and lonely. 

    I breathed in deep, sliding my tongue around in my mouth and finding sharp canines and large, yet as equally as sharp, molars. My breaths became caught in my chest, and I felt my body tremble. What was I? What happened to me? 

    I tried to stand more slowly this time, but I still shook and had a catch in each breath that I took. My four legs were tall and strongly built despite my scarce behavior, and soon I grew slightly composed enough to stop shaking so bad and stand there trying to piece something, at least something, together. I didn't understand what was going on, and I didn't know what I had just become. 

    I looked around again when I heard a twig snap, on high alert and feeling my back bristle with dense fur. I was covered in fur, it seemed. Out came a black wolf, his eyes a deep yellowish hazel that reminded me of another boy's eyes. Those assertive eyes looked down at me and made me cower slightly, my head unconsciously bowing.

    Once I had done this action, the wolf seemed pleased and looked at me more intently. My head began to dully ache and become fuzzy like it was doing before this transformation I went through. I tensed and shrank back until a pressure felt like it released in my head and allowed for all the feelings I felt to disperse.

    "I am Landon Wyvren," a voice echoed out to me, but I didn't know its origin. I glanced around to see if I could see anyone else here with the two of us, but I didn't see anyone and settled to look back at the black wolf. "Do you not know who is talking to you?"

    I felt my teeth clench with confusion. I figured if whoever was speaking to me could talk to me then they could probably see me so I shook my head as a no answer. I watched the wolf's head raise up at the action and step forward slightly, but it stopped shortly after.

    "You must not know of what we are," there was an emphasis on the reference between the two of us. That was when I realized the voice belonged to the wolf before me. No one else was around that my senses could detect, and I could tell they were shockingly superb. "You don't, do you?"  I shook my head again and felt it lower down afterward.

    "Then follow me, and allow me to explain it to you. You can trust me."