Chapter 1

_____________
Edited 5/4/19

    With the sun beginning to rise over the horizon, I began to blink awake. The rays of sunlight through my curtains alert me of the time, it was very early, and I didn't hesitate to climb out of bed and stretch out my limbs. A single sigh slipped from my lips as I lowered my arms from being held over my head. I knew I would be starting a new school today, unsure of how well I would fit in or if I would even do well in academics. 

    After the epidemic many years ago with the unknown visitors, I have been admitted and pulled from numerous schools. My parents refuse to inform me of why they stay indecisive of my placement, but it almost seems like they are keeping me from being located. I wish they would tell me something instead of leaving me oblivious.

    I cross my room to my dresser and pull out a drawer, selecting a pair of denim jeans to wear. I slide out the drawer beneath that one in order to pick a shirt which turns out to be my favorite green one with a black pocket on the front chest. A quick glance in the mirror gives me only a little time to brush my brunette hair down from its messy state and wipe the sleep from my dirty blue eyes.

    "Any time now, Jayvon Rashid!" I hear which only causes panic to swell at the back of my throat and increase my pace. I brush my teeth poorly due to the lack of time allotted to me and then dash from my room and down the stairs to the front door. 

    Standing heatedly with her foot thumping was my mother, and I bowed my head in instinct. I did not meet her gaze. I said no words.

    "Do not be this late again! No excuses from your mouth!" She spits out before retreating out the door to her car so that I can be driven to school. I followed like an obedient slave, scared out of my depths of what she would do if I slowed her down any more. 

    Entering the car, we left and started on the road to my school. From my peripherals, I looked at my mother. Stress lines were embedded within the skin of her forehead, crows feet on the outskirts of her eyes, and her skin was wrinkled around her jawline. Her appearance seemed to only deteriorate the more the years go on, and my sorrow grows for her. If only I could help her; if only she told me what those men did.

    The ride was entirely silent which increased my anxiousness about starting off with a good impression. I generally never cared what people thought of me, but I haven't felt myself here lately. I guess I could expect that with the way my parents changed, too.

    My mother dropped me off at the front office, not bothering to walk in with me or say a word as I closed her car door and watched her drive away. She left me here, just like she did every other first day, standing and wishing I had the support of my parents to give me comfort.

    I turned around and took in the appearance of the school, the brick beating red under the morning sun and tall columns giving a civilized aura. Not wanting to get in trouble for loitering, I walked towards the door and pressed the button to page myself in; I waited for it to click before turning the knob. 

    The double doors led to a wide and open dome-shaped room. Large windows on either side of the doors behind me let in an abundance of light whereas artificial light from large hanging lights above provided the rest. 

    I looked around in order to gather my bearings, seeing a sign with Office labeled across it. Walking in that room, I took in the look of large marble counters in the shape of a half square in the middle of the room. Several doors stood closed behind the counters, and a woman sat at one of the several computers set up.