Ootori

"What do you know?!" Éclair yelled, slamming her hand down on Yoshio's desk. "This is the way we were raised! It's the way of noble families! Someone from the lower class would never understand!" She stood up again and stormed to Shae. Kyoya shot up and blocked her path, glaring hard at the blonde. "Get out of my way, Kyoya-sama! You're supposed to be on my side! You're going to marry me! It's not fair! You're promised to me!"

Kyoya was about to reply when a low chuckle made the two freeze and look back to the desk.

Yoshio had his eyes closed, a smile on his face as his chuckle turned into a laugh. Kyoya had never seen his father like this before, and he had no idea how to react to it...

Finally, after a few minutes, Yoshio looked at Shae. "You remind me of my wife. She had the same fire and beliefs as you do." He closed his eyes and took a breath, then looked at Éclair. "The wedding is off. Kyoya, show our guest to the door, I'll bring Miss Shae to the garden for tea."

Shae brightened, smiling at Kyoya who smirked back. Yoshio liked and approved of Shae.

"Yes, father." Kyoya put his hand on Éclair's upper back, guiding her to the door. She was yelling how unfair everything was the whole way, even with the door closed Shae could still hear her.

She looked back to Yoshio, who was still smiling at her.

"Tell me, Miss Shae..." He said, standing up. "How long have you been in love with my son?"

Shae's eyes widened, her ears turning red from embarrassment. She stumbled over her words for a second until she gave up and hung her head. "Is it that obvious?"

"Nothing can be hidden from an Ootori. But I must say, you have gone over my expectations of you."

Shae raised an eyebrow. Yoshio started walking to the door, Shae following as he explained.

"I do everything around Kyoya as a test. Though he is the youngest, I know he is the most eligible as leader of the family head after my passing. But he is nowhere near ready yet. When I got word that he was spending time with one of the American honor students at Ouran, I decided to test your abilities as well. You see, Kyoya never went out of his way to spend time with anyone outside of his club activities. Therefore, him being with you makes you a possible marriage candidate." Shae's whole face went red this time. "I had to make sure you would bring something to this family, so I decided to see how you would react to him moving. If you would let him go, agree to visit him, or somehow talk him into disobeying me. The second Kyoya looked at me at the airport yesterday, I knew you had passed the test."

Shae had mixed emotions about this. Happiness that she was approved of; slight anger at being worried over a test she didn't even know her and Kyoya were being put through; honor at passing the test; and a little confused over one part of it. "But what about Éclair? How does she fit into the test?"

"She wasn't a part of it at first, she was supposed to be married to my second son, Akito. But her family failed to tell me of her deranged tendencies when looked in the eyes. She was fine when I looked at her, but the second Akito did, she started yelling in French and throwing things. That got Kyoya's attention and he came to investigate. As soon as Éclair saw him, she stopped and said she would marry him instead. So I added her to the test as well. Which, I am truly grateful you passed. I do not want that girl in my family."

Shae chuckled. "Well, that was a little mean. You were just using her?"

"The Ootori family isn't known for being nice." Yoshio smirked at her as they entered the garden, where Kyoya was already waiting with Fuyumi.

The tea party was pleasant. Kyoya and Fuyumi were both a little shocked to see their father -one of the coldest people they know- smiling and laughing. Something Fuyumi hadn't seen since their mother died.