Warfare: A Story of Queen Gwyn and the Irish War

Start from the beginning

A sleeveless chainmail tunic that barely past my hips was meant to be belted over a hunting gown. I couldn't fight quite right in a gown, so I laced on a pair of tailor-made leather breeches and a long black blouse. The ruffled sleeves were sewn off at my elbow to provide a better grip on my weapons. I also had a pair of leather boots so soft they made no noise; they were the typical military standard for our army, which made Arthur slightly detest them. He was quite a chauvinist, but it made me aspire harder to be independent.

I braided my hair into several long ropes, wrapping them in a crown on my head. Then came my set of weapons, personalized to my liking. Four engraved silver stilettos enchanted by my dear sister-in-law to fly back to their places after being thrown. I slid them into my hair. Next was my quiver of poisoned arrows and the carved ivory bow I swung over my back. As I buckled my leather utility belt around my waist, I laid my hands on my favorite weapons.

They were a simple pair of double-bladed daggers, made of the purest silver you could ever imagine. The hilts were embedded in intricate patterns with rubies. As I placed them in their holsters, I looked into the gilt mirror on my wall. My face was set in determination, my eyes like iced violets set on fire. I was ready for the impending battle.

"Everyone to their positions!" a guardsman shouted out. I hurried myself into the hallway, locking my bedroom with the iron key around my neck. The gold wedding ring Arthur gave me was attached to the same silver chain so it didn't slip off my finger in battle. I had to get outside to the courtyard, to stand beside the men and women willing to risk themselves for our home. My boots made not a sound as I stalked down the corridors.

On the ground floor of the castle, I was just feet from the exit when two familiar faces entered my path. Adrienne, my elder sister, was walking down the hall in a hurry. Her rich plum gown swayed with her tall and willowy body, the mousy pale brown of her hair pulled into a tight knot on her head. From glancing at her face, at her sky-colored eyes, I knew she meant to find me.

There was a smaller person with my sister, the frail being swallowed by the skirts she clutched in her small ivory hands. Ringlets of pale, pale gold touched with honey cascaded down her shoulders, small eyes a darker violet than my own tear-filled and surveying me with worry. My dear, darling Lisette.

"She wanted to see you," Adrienne began, pushing a tendril of hair from her face. "Before... well, you know." Yes, I did know. I took several steps forward and knelt to my daughter, leveling my gaze to hers. She stopped fiddling with her silken robe and threw her arms around my neck, squeezing as tightly as she could. I ran my hand up and down her back soothingly, my lips moved to her ear.

"Don't worry, my darling. All shall be well," I told her with as much confidence as I could muster. "I love you." I kissed her forehead and picked her up, handing my daughter to my sister. I laid my lips on her cheek and whispered, "Take care of her." I was getting less sure of my survival rate for the night.

I made it out the the courtyard without any further interruptions. The sky had darkened to a near pitch-black, torches lit and casting warm glows on the land. Our troops were assembling, last-minute weapons checking and securing armor. I walked up to the closest person to my castle. She was also the only person in Camelot I knew longer than my husband.

Morgaine smiled as I stopped beside her, the curve of her pale lips mocking in nature. She rarely took battle or war seriously, almost like they were merely games to be played. She wore a long black gown of the lightest fabric we had access to, the shoulders stripped and tied around her pale neck. Each side was slit to her thigh. Her matching boots were of leather like mine, but had tall heels meant to do damage when kicking. Her dark waterfall of curls was loose but for the several braids fastening it from her excited face.