Warfare: A Story of Queen Gwyn and the Irish War

The Irish were coming. Our spy behind enemy lines alerted us several days in advance. It was time to fight for our beliefs. Why couldn't Arthur and Henry simply agree to disagree and call a truce? I wasn't sure. Well, I might as well stop my whining and get over it. I couldn't stop the war myself, though many who know me would see it as debatable.

I went to our bedchambers and closed the door, even that simple act echoing through the stone corridors. The twisted creature called stress in my stomach had been churning about since I woke up that morning. My dear husband stood by our marital bed, already clad in his war uniform. A long red tunic belted over brown breeches and tall leather boots. The fleecy golden curls of his long hair spilled over his collar, stubble sparkling in the lit candles about the room. The evening was barely arriving, the pale blue of the sky darkening just around the edges. The king was staring at our bed before I entered. His sword Excalibur was strewn on the dark velvet blanket, the steel blade hyperly bright against it. His eyes, the sparkling pale cobalt I'd admired from our first meeting, snapped up to meet my own violet irises. He stood up straighter, his tall height intimidating at least. I felt as such when I first met him; now I found security in his height and power.

Arthur slid his sword into it's sheath and strode to me quickly, his handsome face drawn in worry. Those eyes glinted with his possessiveness of me; I was the most important thing to him. Strong arms locked around me like the steel manacles in our dungeons, his whole muscular body shuddering with the concern he vibrating from him. I latched my arms around his back, laying my head on his shoulder. He buried his face in my thick hair, just the brush of his skin over my scalp sending a tingle down my body.

"You don't have to do this," he murmured into my hair. I sighed, sliding my cheek over his shoulder.

"Yes, I do. It's my duty to protect my country as much as it is yours." He believed it not.

"Queens should not do such things that risk their lives. You should be preparing to take Lisette down to the shelter." The local townspeople who couldn't fight, the elderly and children, were being taken down to a nicer part of the dungeons that was hidden from prying eyes. Some of the women who aren't quite fighters, like my pigheaded sister, were staying down to take care of them until the Irish army receded.

"Adrienne can take care of her, just as Annabeth will. I am of better use on the front lines with Morgaine and the rest of the battalion." I adjusted my position, placing my head sideways and ear on his shoulder. I was looking out the window and listening to my husband's beating heart. It was his turn to sigh at me.

"If I could dissuade you, I would. But since that's not the case, I'd rather give my consent for you to fight than for you to to see you die while trying to play hero and without me there to protect you." Arthur took me by the shoulders gently and pulled me up to look into my eyes. I leveled my gaze to his without shame. He leaned forward and caught my lips with his, kissing me almost mournfully. It was as if he was already thinking of my funeral arrangements. When he pulled back I laced my arms around his neck, my hands steadying his head to look at me.

"The day I die in battle is the day I burn in Hell, Arthur. I will not let you down." I forced determination into every single word, my face scrunched in the headstrong expression he loved. It made Arthur chuckle, bowing his head down to touch mine with a wan smile.

"My little Gwyn," he mused. I smiled at him.

"The one and only," I replied coyly. My hand moved to cup his momentarily smiling cheeks, lifting myself up on my tiptoes to kiss Arthur once more. When I pulled back, I'd managed to make him smile.

"Very well. You still have armor to strap on." He kissed the tip of my nose and I giggled like a younger maiden would. As Arthur exited, my smile wiped off of my face. I moved behind the dressing screen set up near the eastern wall. The water heater had my battle uniform set up on it, per my handmaid Annabeth.