Friday, January 1st

Day One: Friday, January 1st

"Virginia, honey, your mom is doing her rounds." The nurse behind the counter tells me typing away furiously on her computer not even glancing at me.

Isn't she suppose to be extremely nice to me?

Customer service, or whatever..

I let out an aggravated sigh leaning against the marble counter. "Look this is really important Anne." I tell her knowing her name since my mom introduced her to me when she first started working here, years ago.

"You mean nurse Anne," A feminine voice says from behind me and for a second I think it's my mom but I'm disappointed when I turn around. "Don't be so rude Virginia." Julie tells me crossing her tan arms over her chest as she looks at me sternly. You see Julie is like my aunt, I guess you can say. My mom and her have none each other from diapers to medical school, and Julie was a big part of my life growing up.

"Where's my mom, Jules?" I ask her rubbing my sweaty hands on my jeans. I really don't have time for all this talking, I need to find my mom.

"She's busy with a patient," She replies brushing her chocolate hair out of her green eyes.

"Okay, whatever." I say with a wave of my hand walking away from them, and walking down the purple painted hallway that reminds me of grapes, that leads to the patient rooms.

"Where are you going?" Julie calls out to me.

"Going to find my mom," I call back to her, "Since y'all aren't any help!"

My mom is a surgeon at Mercy Rades Hospital (if it isn't obvious). I'm actually surprised she isn't doing a surgery right now, and is actually with a patient. I thought they usually leave that to the nurses, guess not.

I open and close door (getting yelled at by a couple of nurses in the process) until I find my mom standing outside of a door looking through her clipboard. "Hey, Woman," I say walking up behind her making her jump in shock. She drops her clipboard on the ground before turning around and glaring at me.

"What are you doing here?" She asks as she squats to pick up her fallen clipboards, that happen to be the same brown as her scrubs.

"Well, hello to you too." I say sarcastically smirking at her, "Can't I just come to visit my mom?" I lie as I follow her into her patient's room. She starts to go through her clipboards making sure they're in the right order, I guess, but something on the paper causes her to smile.

"Oh really?" She asks in the same sarcastic tone that I had used. "It's school hours and you decided to just come and visit me at work, how thoughtful." Her smile is still on her face even though I know she's pissed at me.

What the hell?

This must be some damn patient.

Maybe she's having a thing with one of her patients.

Gross.

"Mom!" I screech as we walk past the personal bathroom inside the room.

"Oh my god, what, Virginia?" She says glaring at me once more.

"Are you seeing one of your patients?" I ask lowering my voice.

My mom sends me a look of shock.

Yea, that's right, I caught you, I think to my self.

Her face changes from shock to amusement. What? She thinks this is funny that I found out about her little fling. She doesn't say anything simply continues to lead me into the room.