Ivy’s eyebrows scrunch in confusion as Eli pulls back and winks at her before strolling away. It’s only as she sees him disappear that the words click in her mind and outrage bursts in her. Her cheeks flush a brighter red and she lets out an audible huff. As if she dreams of him. And as if she needs his permission to ‘relieve herself’. The very nerve of him! A small voice pops in her head with a sadistic comment- And he is her boyfriend.

That evening Ivy returns home to find her mom talking to 2 surprise visitors. She gasps in astonishment- that gasp turning into a wide grin as she takes in the sight of her two best friends before her. Caroline, Ellie and her have been through thick and thin and still managed to stick together no matter how difficult things got, which was one of the reasons Ivy hated leaving high school, because college would be miles away from her hometown and more importantly the people she loves.

“Ives!” they squeak tackling Ivy in a bone-crushing three way hug. Their taller frames seem to engulf her as their bodies squished together conceal Ivy’s laughs of joy.
“Caroline, Ellie! Oh God, it’s been ages since I’ve seen you both. How are you?” fires away Ivy with enthusiasm.
“Oh you know, same old, same old,” shrugs Caroline.
“Yeah and-”
“Sorry, Ellie, um, shall we eat girls. Then afterwards you can catch up,” interrupts Dawn. All in agreement they decide to concentrate on the matter of food.

“Girls, I expect you’ll be staying over?” asks Dawn happy to have them there for company, after all when Ellie had been pregnant she had stayed with Ivy and Dawn for a few months, and now Dawn considered all three more of her daughters than Ivy’s friends.
“Yeah, is that okay, Mrs Stanford?” Caroline responds.
“Of course it is dear! I was just going to say that popcorn is in the top, left cupboard. I’m going to be going to bed early so you girls can do...whatever, just try keep it down okay?” responds Dawn, a little sad she can’t stay and chat a little longer to them. But drugs have side-effects and hers includes fatigue. She could sleep through the whole day and still be tired!
“Sure thing, Mrs Stanford,” chirps Ellie her cornflower blue eyes shining with concern. Ellie can see the woman she would call a surrogate mother, sick with the cancer. It's awful but there's nothing she can do herself about it. As sad as it is, it's just one of those things in life, that cannot be controlled. Sometimes, bad things happen to good people and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. But as true as that may be, Ellie still wishes that Dawn doesn't have to suffer through the illness, because not only is it causing her pain but also those who care and love her. Ellie mentally shakes those thoughts from her head. Dawn's strong, she'll be fine. Just as Ivy is and will be strong. 

Ivy, Caroline and Ellie drag 3 sleeping bags into the lounge, with all other necessities for a fun girly night; so nail-polish, popcorn, chick-flicks and of course, a bottle of red wine.

“So Ives, news on the street is you have a hot man,” Caroline suggests with a sly grin and wiggle of her eyebrows. Ivy’s cheeks blush red as she glances away toward the running TV.
“Oh...is that really ‘news on the street’?” she mumbles.
“It’s true! It’s true! Look, she’s blushing,” cries Ellie poking Ivy’s warm cheeks.
“Stop it....Okay, it may be true but we’re only on a trial, okay?”
“A trial?! Jeez, trust you to test the waters first-”
“Hey! There is nothing wrong with being cautious,” Ivy protests at Caroline’s teasing.
“Hm, yeah but not in relationships Ives...Sometimes, you just have to dive in. Take the plunge. I don’t mean be crazy obsessed or anything but, give the poor guy a chance,” explains Ellie.

“Says you, remember Brady Lowes?” sings Ivy causing Caroline to burst out laughing. Ellie had been in love with Brady believing him to be ‘the one’ and this was in Freshman year. But Brady paid no attention to Ellie and although both Ivy and Caroline had been bugging her that he’s a closet gay, Ellie wouldn’t accept it. After much chasing on Ellie’s part, the poor boy gave in and just went out with her. A few days later and they broke up, right before he announced himself gay. Of course, everyone teased Ellie endlessly after claiming that she must have turned Brady gay, which both Ivy and Caroline had to join in on some occasions, the opportunity was too good to miss. And now they like to endlessly bring that up for Ellie, much to her embarrassment.
“Shut up, both of you! That was ages ago. Besides, if it wasn’t for Brady I wouldn’t have met Vince,” sighs Ellie with a small smile. Vince came to her rescue several times after when the jocks started to take the teasing too far, and there blossomed their love.
“But Ellie, if you and Vince had been a little more cautious like Ivy’s saying then you wouldn’t have got...pregnant,” points out Caroline. Ivy beams at her, liking the fact she has someone to back her up instead of Eli.
“I know! But we were too young then and we should have been cautious but you know I don’t regret Dylan. But what I’m saying is, Ivy you’re not giving yourself a chance to love and be loved-”